Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Default Re: Dan Rather report on bee shortage in Calif almonds

Quote Originally Posted by benstung View Post
    these farmers dont NEED it to be so easy for them. they need to be forced to be smart. and the only way is to stop giving them everything on a silver platter. They are like an invasive specie with no predators and they are getting out of control.
    I can see you know nothing about farming, if you think its easy. I bet if farms quit using pesticides and herbicides, you would starve.

Hey bird i dont eat pesticides and im trying to cut back on herbicides.

Are you a commercial beekeeper?

Quote Originally Posted by Haraga View Post
    Two loads of bees and you are criticizing farm practices?

Dang right! With what I've seen repeatedly I have good reason to.
    Last edited by Beeslave; 04-11-2013 at 03:42 PM.
    Leer Family Honey Farm-Shannon Leer

Not commercial, out of control hobbyist should hit 100 hives this summer. I think I might have a problem.

I guess, I am a commercial beekeeper with only 100 hives.

I guess you don't know what you don't know. Let me let you in on a secret. Farmers are not smart. And that includes myself. If I were smart I would not be farming. I would be signing the back of someone else's check.
    One of these days I'm going to win the lottery. Then I'm just going to keep farming until it's all gone.
    Where are we and what's with this hand basket?

Let me let you in on a secret. Farmers are not smart. And that includes myself.
    Thanks for pointing that out so I can explain a little more detail for you. I'm going to question practices that are done for no other reason then GREED. I see the results of those practices every year. It's not all farmers. It isn't as easy as "just wait till the crops are planted". Sometimes it can be almost June before they are done. Last year it was the last week of May....I had 100 colonies at my house.....there was a field down the road about 3/4 mile that had vegetation knee high and was full of white clover bloom......great I thought.....my bees were flying heavy in that direction and nothing but sunny Skys in the forecast. A few days later that field was no-till planted over the bloom. After that I was seeing dead bees piling up.....those hives struggled after that.....I had queen losses higher then normal. I moved those bees to 3 different honey production yards. At the end of the season-GUESS WHAT? The hives that came from there had the highest loss %. That's what happens every year. It's not all yards but when I notice yards with that type of kill during planting they have the highest deadout rate at the end of the year....even requeening the ones that fail early the end result is the same. It isn't even the same yards year after year.

I guess you don't know what you don't know. Let me let you in on a secret. Farmers are not smart. And that includes myself. If I were smart I would not be farming. I would be signing the back of someone else's check.
    Must be a different kind of farmer up around Medicine Hat than we have down here. Most of these guys farms thousands and thousands of acres, with many 100,000 dollar tractors and million dollar combines... when they are not hedging soybeans.... they are smart, or not many bankers would talk to them... Big Ag is here to stay... whether we like it or not.
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    That report said some class of this chemical has been used from the 1700s
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clothianidin

Reread the whole thing. This time pay attention to what you're reading and not the thoughts you already have in your head. Pay real close attention to the toxicity section.....click on it and read the info on the toxicity!

Then I would say you are lucky because all you need to do is find out what chemicals were in that field and do not put your bees near those chemicals again. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeslave View Post
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clothianidin

Reread the whole thing. This time pay attention to what you're reading and not the thoughts you already have in your head. Pay real close attention to the toxicity section.....click on it and read the info on the toxicity!
    It said the same thing on both pages, maybe you need to read the first page That some form of this chemical has been used since the 1700. I bet that old stuff before the EPA had some kick.
    Are you mad at the farmer down the road, because he planted his field no till, would it matter if he plowed it under then planted. Sound like your mad because he kill your forage area. When you loose forage area the fewer hive's that area would support. If this happens every year I would move at that time of year.

Big Grin Re: Dan Rather report on bee shortage in Calif almonds

Hey.... what have you guys done to my thread....lol

I'm taking cover under the bus while you guys reload.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Sorry Keith. How's your bee's.

Birdman no worries mate, I'm just sitting back taking this all in .

Oh, what was I doing today..... shake shake shake....

hey bird if commercial beekeeper was in the dictionary it would read

Commercial beekeeper- intuitive, tenacious, inventive, independent, and most important makes livelihood off beekeeping ALONE.

It is a lot different when you and your loved ones rely on the health of these little bugs.

its spring you had better bee doing the shake shake shake. there are so many ways to do this job successful. a person in the midwest who wants to make a honey crop is so much different than someone who wants to farm bulk bees and pollinate crops. if an old queen is still laying today in a warm climate the only thing you could do to keep em in the box is to shake shake shake.

Hey Keith I sent you a private message about Nutra Bee feed, can you check your inbox and get back to me please.

Quote Originally Posted by benstung View Post
    its spring you had better bee doing the shake shake shake. there are so many ways to do this job successful. a person in the midwest who wants to make a honey crop is so much different than someone who wants to farm bulk bees and pollinate crops. if an old queen is still laying today in a warm climate the only thing you could do to keep em in the box is to shake shake shake.
    Ole Ben, lol your comment are truly one of one kind, last year at time I was about 100 miles south of you with 1000+ hives, But as you say " there are so many ways to do this job successfully" .

ben I can see your still upset that I'm not a commercial beekeeper. Maybe the greedy farmer down the road from you will loan me the cash to go commercial. No he has to feed his family too.

Birdman, no worries I'll loan you the cash. but I'm still reading crash course #137

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast