Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Default Re: Dan Rather report on bee shortage in Calif almonds

Quote Originally Posted by Beeslave View Post
    I respect you for your knowledge of managing honey bees but.....that's kind of an ignorant statement considering it's all pollinators that suffer. With a little management change from the crop farmer this problem could be avoided. Apparently you think it would be ok for a farmer who has crops(any crop) adjacent to crops you are pollinating to knowingly apply things on "HIS" property that cause damage to his neighbors property.

It's easy to say something is ok when it doesn't affect you.
    If the guy next door applied herbicide to my yard, he would repair the damage. When the guy next door wants to apply pesticide to his yard then I hope my bees avoid his yard. The farmer next door has his job, just like you. Do you go talk to all the farmers around your bee's, does the farmer next door know you have bee's next door.

I respect you for your knowledge of managing honey bees but.....that's kind of an ignorant statement considering it's all pollinators that suffer. With a little management change from the crop farmer this problem could be avoided. Apparently you think it would be ok for a farmer who has crops(any crop) adjacent to crops you are pollinating to knowingly apply things on "HIS" property that cause damage to his neighbors property.

It's easy to say something is ok when it doesn't affect you.
    ok lets list what the farmer could do different. #1 he could spray roundup and kill all the weeds. but gee you have your hives there for the honey from the weeds,
    and then he might have to spray again after he plants the corn. to expensive and time consuming.
    #2 he could buy a new planter that prevents the seed coating from getting on the weeds,
    or all the beeks could chip in and make the farmer happy and buy him a new planter.
    or #3 he could tell the beeks to move along to some other area until he's done planting.
    any other ideas I've missed?
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

I want to preface this by saying that I'm a small time hobbyist and I'm not even qualified to carry a hive tool for most of the people on this forum. That said…I live in the Midwest where corn is king and soybeans are a close second. It seems to me that when the government decided to get in the business of subsidizing corn (a food crop) to be made into fuel for vehicles, all bets were off. Whatever it takes to produce more "gasohol" is just OK with them.

30 years ago farmers were doing away with fence rows to gain a little more yield per acre and that was about it for pheasant and quail habitat. The bunnies disappeared, the coyotes moved in and the deer population exploded…now the deer are like the rabbits used to be except they are a bunch harder on your car when you hit one.

I'm in the process of moving to central Illinois so I spent a little time driving around up there looking for an apiary location…Corn, soybeans and housing subdivisions as far as the eye can see.

Bee habitat…what bee habitat?
    Where are we and what's with this hand basket?

Beeslave, have you ever farmed a significant amount of land before?

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    Do you go talk to all the farmers around your bee's, does the farmer next door know you have bee's next door.
    Bingo!
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -H.S. Thompson

but.....that's kind of an ignorant statement considering it's all pollinators that suffer. It's easy to say something is ok when it doesn't affect you.
    Holly Molly...... lol gee where do you even start.

Shannon, let me start with your "ignorant statment". I have run bees in the central valley of Calif for more than 30 years, this is the most diversed agriculture valley on earth, more fruits,nuts,dairy, row crops ect... there is more food produced here than anywhere else and guess what come from all that production..... Sprayes like you never see it. Try walking in my shoes first before throughing rocks in a glass house.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

My original part of this discussion was about what is happening here where I live.....not about farming practices in CA. Specifically my comment was about the planting practices of the corn crop and the seed treatments. How much no-till corn is planted in CA Keith?

Wildbranch- Option 1.....they spray it with round up anyways

CG3 and Birdman-most are aware and some understand what is happening.

Haraga-I grew up working on farms. I've been here in the country my whole life. I have friends who make a living and support their families cash cropping. I've helped them fix their equipment......I've had conversations with these friends on how some practices affect the pollinators. Those aren't the ones causing the trouble. It's the ones who don't care as long as it doesn't affect them that cause the problems.
    Last edited by Beeslave; 04-10-2013 at 07:29 PM.
    Leer Family Honey Farm-Shannon Leer

.I've had conversations with these friends on how some practices affect the pollinators. Those aren't the ones causing the trouble. It's the ones who don't care as long as it doesn't affect them that cause the problems.
    neonicotinoid insecticides are used very extensively and have been for a long time now, a lot of farmers would not consider these types of seed treatment insecticides lethal to the bees. you are referring to the use of neonicotinoid insecticide use right?
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

I think you hit it Wildbranch. It's the farmer's land, if you don't want your bees exposed to the stuff during planting, move em til they're done.

Poncho/Clothianidin....it's been used as a seed treatment for 10 yrs
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clothianidin

Poncho/Clothianidin....it's been used as a seed treatment for 10 yrs
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clothianidin
    That report said some class of this chemical has been used from the 1700s. I would say if it stays in the soil and leaches into other plants

Beeslave it sounds like you have only signed the back of the farm check and never the front of the farm check. Until you have signed the front then you have minimal room to critique farm practices.

Yup......running 2 loads of bees and never wrote a check.lol

Did you find that 1 hive for your friend?

Two loads of bees and you are criticizing farm practices?

this is a beekeeping forum, so my question is why would you folks ever defend anything that is or has been or will be harmful to bees.
    There is a reason why there are people farming large amounts of land organically. And guess what they have huge brand new combines just like the other non organic corn farmers. the only difference is in the profit margin. how come you smart guys dont ever talk about how the government now subsidizes drain tiling.
    If you dont care about anything but money then you would cut down every tree line, plow over every stream and run drain tile.
    (pump your hives full of crap and forget this reality)
    But on the other hand if you love this job and get more out of it than just money you would show some compassion for the less fortunate.
    or just continue to tell us how good you are and wait for the whole thing to IMPLODE.
    Why would Johnstons bees do well in the mountains???
    Last edited by JohnK and Sheri; 04-11-2013 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Name calling, uncivility

Quote Originally Posted by Haraga View Post
    Two loads of bees and you are criticizing farm practices?
    two loads of bees can net some serious money.
    so maybe you can tell us what you meant by that.

Now that's the response I expected.

these farmers dont NEED it to be so easy for them. they need to be forced to be smart. and the only way is to stop giving them everything on a silver platter. They are like an invasive specie with no predators and they are getting out of control.

I guess you don't know what you don't know. Let me let you in on a secret. Farmers are not smart. And that includes myself. If I were smart I would not be farming. I would be signing the back of someone else's check.

benstrung

I work with 30-40 different farmers a year. Wonderful, accommodating people I find. Often times if they need to apply an insecticide they will choose a less effective one to protect my bees.

Do I pine for the old days of vast bee pasture - sometimes. Are they coming back? Not with 7 billion people on the planet.

I'm not a big fan of biting the hand that feeds me.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast