Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Dan Rather report on bee shortage in Calif almonds

Derick, your still in Calif & I know you have plans on stopping by my shop, but, I will supply a fair amount of Nutra Bee sub to run some feild trials in sunflowers, ones with sub an ones with out. If Derick isn't up for this maybe somebody else will chimm in.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    the farmer has to feed his kids too you know.
    very well said, WB

Tina, is it seed treatments, on sunflowers or do they not spray them?

Down the road neighbor planted couple hundred acres of canola. Are there issues with this crop also?

Should I be concerned?

I don't think canola is treated with neonics but I could be wrong, Ian would know.

I believe most canola is treated seed.

The seed treatment we use on our canola is called Helix, this is what the lable on the bags say

HELIX XTra®
    Seed Treatment is a liquid seed treatment for use on canola and mustard for early
    season control of flea beetles, seed-borne blackleg, seed-borne Alternariaand the seedling disease
    complex (damping-off, seedling blight, seed rot and root rot) caused by Pythiumspp., Fusariumspp.
    and Rhizoctonia spp.
    This product is for use in areas with high flea beetle pressure where extended early season control
    is required.
    GUARANTEE:
    Thiamethoxam .................................................. ........20.70%
    Difenoconazole .................................................. .........1.25%
    Metalaxyl-M and S-isomer..........................................0. 39%
    Fludioxonil....................................... ............................0.13%
    Contains 1,2-benzisothiazolin-3-one at 0.012 % as a preservative.

We basically use it to protect the newly emerged plants from flea beetles, gives us two week protection
    sure beats spraying the crop two or three times to get the little buggers
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Thiamethoxam is listed as the main agent neonicotinoid class insecticides.

We have been using this treatment since the late 90's after counter-5-G was discontinued.
    This seed treatment has been used pretty much on every canola acre up here for at least 15 years
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Jarrett View Post
    Now you got me thinking Dereck, this sounds much like cotton in Calif, I have an costomer that buys sub in the middle of the summer he takes a large amount and is a very good keeper, so one year I ask him, Bob why are you buying this sub so early for, Mr. Brandi said, Keith, in cotton you have a great stimulating flow but with little pollen to go with it, so, you will pull supers of honey & at the time the bees will look GREAT, then 2-4 months later if you don't sub feed (at the time of bloom) you will bee left with 4-5 framers.
    Any thoughts on this, does this sound like sunflowers?
    OK....this is interesting. I know Bob well.....we have discussed this 'some'. A large percentage of our hives will be on melons all summer surrounded by cotton. It has been literally years since I've seen a bee in a cotton blossom.....not one. To top it off, they have basically bred the nectaries from the leaves with only a few left at the base of the bolls for nectar. The old DP 90 that was such a high producer here no longer exists. Now we are left with a mono culture of melon pollen all year.....supplement feeding is essential IMO. So .... the problem....when high temps and high humidity hit (July, Aug, and Sept) putting a 3 lb patty in a hive that is under say 8 frames is a death sentence due to wax moth larva. I watched with considerable interest as Dr Wardell worked on his "liquid" diet when in Tucson but neither his diet or our attempts at a similar product, worked well under these conditions. Feeding in an inside feeder left most of the "protein" in the bottom of the feeder......using an 'inverted' feeder was problematic due to expansion, rapid fermentation in the heat and various other problems.....still searching.

Edit: Thank goodness SHB have not figured out how to survive here!.....yet!

the farmer has to feed his kids too you know.
    So you think it's ok for them to no-till plant on top of plants in bloom......dusting those blooms with pesticide as the bees are working them because they have kids to feed?

With that line of thinking it should be ok to render their planting equipment inoperable because the pollinators(insects)have kids to feed.lol
    Leer Family Honey Farm-Shannon Leer

Quote Originally Posted by Beeslave View Post
    So you think it's ok for them to no-till plant on top of plants in bloom......dusting those blooms with pesticide as the bees are working them because they have kids to feed?
    we dont seed into blooming plants,
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Derick, your still in Calif & I know you have plans on stopping by my shop, but, I will supply a fair amount of Nutra Bee sub to run some feild trials in sunflowers, ones with sub an ones with out. If Derick isn't up for this maybe somebody else will chimm in.
    Keith, that is exactly what I had in mind. I would like to know if the poor pollen is the limiting factor or if there's another reason for what I notice. As some people have posted earlier about the lack of any honey flow all summer, it is very possible that the hives pollen stores were almost completely depleted. If the pollen is lacking this might be a bigger problem in dry years versus wet were as on wet years they would have plenty of pollen stores going into sunflowers and they wouldn't have as many pollen colecters. As for supplying the pollen(free) no need, i'll order the pollen as planed and i will get back to you this fall on what I find.

JRG13:
    They do spray the sunflowers. As long as they use Asana, we don't move bees. It has a bee repellant in it and the bees generally stay away from the sunflowers for a bit. Have not seen any problems from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    we dont seed into blooming plants,
    They do here.....seed over clover and/or dandelion. After planting they will spray round up or other weed killer. Sometimes that won't be until a few days later.

With that line of thinking it should be ok to render their planting equipment inoperable because the pollinators(insects)have kids to feed.lol
    the farmer is not doing anything wrong, the label on the corn says nothing about removing bloom before planting, besides there his fields, and he feels just as you do.

How about the wild feral colonies? Who treats them? No one, so AFB is everywhere! To many people get into beekeeping to "do there part" and keep pollinators in their area. Too many people preaching chemical free(I would but my bees feed my family!) so the "newbees" do just that. They know very little about bees(and even less about "signs" of disease) and are also a cause(of several causes) to the problem. So that said, I will use preventive treatments. Now unless every asspect of your life and lifestyle is 100% chem and pollutant free, all natural everything please preach to someone else cuz I'm just trying to keep food on the table and looking for a recipe!!!
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

besides there his fields,.
    well said, you can move bees... but you can't move fields

it's bad enough when the goverment is telling you how to run your land, now the beekeeper want's in on the action.

you guys have no idea how much we rely on using Helix (canola seed treatment)
    two weeks protection from flea beetles,

beekeepers should also consider that a two weeks protection from the crop duster
    otherwise there would be a steady dose of Furadan on the lands, not good
    Last edited by Ian; 04-10-2013 at 08:42 AM. Reason: spelling
    www.stepplerfarms.com

[QUOTE=Beeslave;920998]So you think it's ok for them to no-till plant on top of plants in bloom......dusting those blooms with pesticide as the bees are working them because they have kids to feed?

What pesticides do they use at planting no till? Why are treating with pesticide at planting? When we farmed we only used pesticide if we had pest. I don't treat my potatoes , tomatoes or any other thing I grow, when I plant, I only treat when pest are present. I don't think the farmers are using pesticide at planting time, without reason. To just use it without cause, it cost to much to just use without reason.

well said, you can move bees... but you can't move fields

it's bad enough when the goverment is telling you how to run your land, now the beekeeper want's in on the action.
    I respect you for your knowledge of managing honey bees but.....that's kind of an ignorant statement considering it's all pollinators that suffer. With a little management change from the crop farmer this problem could be avoided. Apparently you think it would be ok for a farmer who has crops(any crop) adjacent to crops you are pollinating to knowingly apply things on "HIS" property that cause damage to his neighbors property.

It's easy to say something is ok when it doesn't affect you.

https://www.pioneer.com/home/site/us...tment-options/

The seed treatment dust falls onto the plants that are blooming.
    Last edited by Beeslave; 04-10-2013 at 10:22 AM.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast