Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Dan Rather report on bee shortage in Calif almonds

oh boy, Irwin, you sound cranky, just like me, . . . Got to get spring started already here !
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Did you guys happen to see where Mr. Perez (almond farmer) was not worred about the bee shortage because he had hives, then they started cracking those yellow emty boxes on Perez orchard. This whole thing is a nightmare.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Same. In that his job is to present an interesting and entertaining article for the non beekeeping public.
    when ever someone asks me about bees and how they are doing, when I start talking to them, their eyes glaze over.
    Dan presents this stuff to the same people,
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Jarrett View Post
    Did you guys happen to see where Mr. Perez (almond farmer) was not worred about the bee shortage because he had hives, then they started cracking those yellow emty boxes on Perez orchard. This whole thing is a nightmare.
    ha ha ha, ya, your right thats funny
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by irwin harlton View Post
    I seem to recall that 57% of all US keepers income came from pollination, only the remainder came from honey production, this from what I know is a given gold mine...
    One would sure think, Irwin

$200 plus pollination fees next year?
    www.stepplerfarms.com

So Kieth what is it ? A nightmare now? or nutrition or mites or what?

I am confused by your last post about almond grower, have you now changed you outlook?

There is a earlier post about the big picture and we need to keep that in mind, I have a current concern about my live stock and how to survive, but I also ask a big picture question, if the pesticides are being delivered in the root system thru water ( Systemic) WHAT IS IN OUR FOOD CHAIN THAT WE EAT EVERY DAY and how is this effecting our health?

I also ask what has changed? If it is now nessesary to treat for mites 3 to 4 times a year and feed pollen substitue 15 pounds plus a year what has changed because in REALITY a short time ago we did not do this and had incredible results. check out the pictures of the bee beards on trucks for 30 years ago in video. So I ask again what has changed?
    Larry Pender,Jubilee HoneyBee Company,Camarillo, CA

What is the latest news about the self pollinating almond trees that may be coming in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by Haraga View Post
    What is the latest news about the self pollinating almond trees that may be coming in the future?
    Not self pollinating, self fertile. They will need bees but not as many. Not that many being planted ,the market does not like them.

Quote Originally Posted by LSPender View Post
    So Kieth what is it ? A nightmare now? or nutrition or mites or what?

I am confused by your last post about almond grower, have you now changed you outlook?

So I ask again what has changed?
    Your first question Larry, it's a black eye for all of us when they show dead out hives in high paying almond pollination on TV.
    Your second question, everything has changed, crp is being pulled out, alfalfa is out, corn & soy beans are in. Farm machinery is so much faster these days that the farmers don't get behind like they used to so many blooming crops don't bloom. Look around, so much has changed, Larry we are both Calif keepers, look how many more bees there are in Calif, look at how many locations now have twice as many bees as they used to. Look at the video, look at those small trucks.... now all you see is 48 ft step decks.

We are asking so much from so little.

what has changed?

In 2007 glyphosate was the most used herbicide in the United States agricultural sector, with 180 to 185 million pounds (82,000 to 84,000 tonnes) applied, and the second most used in home and garden market where users applied 5 to 8 million pounds (2,300 to 3,600 tonnes); additionally industry, commerce and government applied 13 to 15 million pounds (5,900 to 6,800 tonnes).[5] While glyphosate has been approved by regulatory bodies worldwide and is widely used, concerns about its effects on humans and the environment persist.[6] wiki
    thats more monoculture crop ,no weeds, NO diversification
    How much neonicotinoids, are used in the north American market?
    iTS THE WHOLE ENVIRONMENT THATS TAKING A KICKING, NOT ONLY BEES

The bees are the canary in the coal mine

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Jarrett View Post
    Your first question Larry, it's a black eye for all of us when they show dead out hives in high paying almond pollination on TV.
    Your second question, everything has changed, crp is being pulled out, alfalfa is out, corn & soy beans are in. Farm machinery is so much faster these days that the farmers don't get behind like they used to so many blooming crops don't bloom. Look around, so much has changed, Larry we are both Calif keepers, look how many more bees there are in Calif, look at how many locations now have twice as many bees as they used to. Look at the video, look at those small trucks.... now all you see is 48 ft step decks.

We are asking so much from so little.
    GREED, on both sides of the story........ kieth if your main goal is to have the healthiest strongest beehives i say more power to you. but like lspender said. there is a bigger picture and people need to see that. like you said all the good forage land is gone. so,...... we should just stay silent and run the bees like live stock. pump the antibotics mitacides and subs and fake feeds. i really do think your a smart guy. maybe you should have been on the show. didnt they call you.......

I think your missing Keiths point completely.
    got to feed your bees,

or we can all go on whining and crying til someone gets those farmers to step back 50 years
    www.stepplerfarms.com

ian, talking to you is like walking in circles in a closet. you never get anywhere!!! i get what hes saying. do you get what im saying. we need to make the whole country aware what the effects we are having on our environment. sure farmers can do their job faster now. but there is a demand for what they are doin. if you take away the demand for cheap crappy food then no one will do it cuz you make no money at it. so bottom line teach your kids to eat there veggies and not mc donalds. and maybe someday we can go back to family farms and not mass produced food. but really that wont happen and things are just goin to get worse and worse. and really i dont see how you can put a positive spin on that. sure i can keep good strong hives at what ever cost and i can make money doin it and i can be rich and buy a corvette. but in the end was it worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by irwin harlton View Post
    what has changed?

In 2007 glyphosate was the most used herbicide in the United States
    Yup, thats a big one for grain farmers. I use to remember our fields almost completely taken over by thistle and quack grass. Now I can not imagine farming with those kind of losses, our fields are clean, due to RR Canola.
    It sucks for beekeepers trying to make honey off of weeds, but its not the beekeepers weeds, remember,
    www.stepplerfarms.com

let me know how you make out with that mnbeekeeper
    Last edited by Ian; 04-07-2013 at 10:12 PM.
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Glyphosate degrades quickly, I doubt it has any lasting affects on most stuff. I know it has issues with amphibians etc... and you will ingest some in RR crops but I doubt it's affecting bees other than wiping out a lot of plants that would be potential sources of bee food. My first impression of the vid was, well, we dropped bees off then don't look at them for awhile, come back and they're dead.... maybe it's time to adjust that practice and make sure your bees are in good shape every month. I think fall nutrition is key as well as maintaining clean equipment and knowing what your mite issues are. Also, all the beekeepers say the same thing, bees look great in fall, well what happened then and why if the bees were in such tip top shape do you pull a 4 frame average come almonds?? If my bees looked great in fall and came out of winter with 4 frames average, I'd start thinking really quickly what looking good in the fall really means and what you need to do to make sure they stay that way.

it's a black eye for all of us when they show dead out hives in high paying almond pollination on TV.

As the old rancher said "you got live ones, ..... your going to have dead ones"
    Seems the odds are increasing in this business...things are changing

Quote Originally Posted by mnbeekeeper View Post
    we should just stay silent and run the bees like live stock. pump the antibotics mitacides and subs and fake feeds.
    Fake feed. lol. I feed my bees big macs and they look very good. And yes it is definitely worth it because my hives are packed with bees and don't look like those disgusting hives in the video with a handful of bees.
    A good beekeeper is one who could adapt to today's world. Were not living the 60's. We have mites and much more to fight with. You either do whats right or dont do and lose those numbers every year.

Do bbuilders that use fake protein also have fake muscles? Might want to ask them.

Quote Originally Posted by mnbeekeeper View Post
    GREED, on both sides of the story........ . there is a bigger picture and people need to see that. like you said all the good forage land is gone. so,...... we should just stay silent and run the bees like live stock. pump the antibotics mitacides and subs and fake feeds. i really do think your a smart guy. maybe you should have been on the show. didnt they call you.......
    MNBeeker, Yes, Greed does play a role, when almonds pollination went up guess what adee's numbers went way up along with the rest of us. Right now the oranges are in full bloom here in Calif and guess how many hives are down there.... too many for a honey crop.

Should we stay silent.... what we should do is NOT have these beekeepers get on TV and say it's the chemicals that are killing the bees when in fact it's a shortage of good bee pasture that is at the root of the problem. All the folks that had good pasture last year, there are pretty happy with there bees. I know here in Calif, MNBeeker it's going to be another long summer for us, we are very dry, But I am not going to blame something else other than the poor conditions that the bees are in.

Bee on TV pushing that agenda, thanks but no thanks.

Wish all the best this summer.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast