Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Dan Rather report on bee shortage in Calif almonds

I had a discussion with a beekeeper neighbour here the other day. Most of our conversation was related to hive nutrition,
    I do believe our we need to direct more attention towards this issue
    and the reason why? pesticides and pathogen and environmental pressures
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

are you going to fill some big sub contracts Keith?
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Most of our conversation was related to hive nutrition,
    Ian, the majority of your immune system is in your gut, if your gut is not in balance guess what.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

are you going to fill some big sub contracts Keith?
    This is not about sales, this is about running bees (livestock).

Have you noticed it's the same folks crying wolf.

i'd like to order about 5 lbs keith, do you have free shipping?

i think the nutrition angle is right on. mine have been on virtually 100% natural forage for almost two years, and are surviving without mite treatments.

the locations in and around monoculture ag just couldn't have the forage diversity that is necessary to get all those necessary amino acids.

the fact that well nutritioned bees do well in these areas suggests it's more a question of diet that exposure to insecticides.

keith, you may have saved the world as we know it. too bad it's a proprietary secret.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Jarrett View Post
    Have you noticed it's the same folks crying wolf.
    no, but Im not down in Cali land.

was there the shortage that the report implied?
    www.stepplerfarms.com

was there the shortage that the report implied?
    Yes, we were short.

P.S. SP good post.

Reading this is just redicolous. I mean this isnt a new thing. its not just bees. cant you see it??? its a trend, i suppose you can explain why there are not any pheasants left or why every other specie is in decline. Dont you see the big picture?There is no good forage land left for anything.
    How could you begin to say these people in this video are wrong? They have been living it for many years. Its obvious these chemicals are having a negative effect on the bees.

And you cannot make a honey crop on fake man made pollen SUBSTITUTE. It is still a SUBSTITUTE for the real thing. I want real honey from bees and if there is no natural pollen left then there is no nectal either. People are so happy to have good raw honey and there is no substitute for that.

It sure is quite out their......... perhaps it is a "silent spring" Keith , ItS been a dam cold one here ,if fact its still what I call winter. I though the video was pretty realistic to what has occurred, from what I can ascertain. Lye Johnson is probably right, plant walnuts.The 4.1 count of bees on the grading system in that yard,orchard, would not be your typical grade or average grade of all California bees this year , would it? I know Mr Blue boxes would be double or triple that.I find it incredible that we can put a man on the moon but can't find out whats killing the honeybee.Some disastrous losses in Canada too, and as this winter continues mine climb as well.I wonder what percentage of commercial keepers do not go to almonds

Quote Originally Posted by benstung View Post
    There is no good forage land left for anything.
    Ben, forage area is shrinking that's the main problem, I agree 100%. Most are running more bees with last pasture an this is showing up in high winter loss rates. To combat this some keeper's are on a feed program with great success. Corn & soy beans are all over the place, so if they were blaming that I would understand, but there not.

I thought the report was a "cry wolf " as loud as you can. I am not very happy that this is what the bee industry has become.

Keith you better jump on that crying band wagon....how else you going to get $250/ hive next year for almonds

Is it all about money Keith? OR is the industry suffering

There is a myth that a healthy hive can resist mites. Mites actually do well on healthy bees, assuming they are a non resistant strain, course the bees won't stay healthy too long.

Mites weaken the bees directly by sucking the blood out of them during larval development. Also, mites vector all kinds of viruses. Of course, to bees weakened in such a way, chemical poisons and poor nutrition can be the coup de grass.

But mostly, keep mites out of the hives, and they can handle everything else way better. Why did all those guys lose hives? In my opinion if the truth gets out, it will in large part have to do with mites. There are reasons why this is sometimes not fully discussed, though.

In deference to Keith though, I've heard some good things about his feed, and if bees are indeed lacking something and Keith's product can supply it, then this will boost, or save, the hive, in proportion to the need. But from where I am, I don't see a food supplement alone saving a hive from mites.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Quote Originally Posted by irwin harlton View Post
    OR is the industry suffering
    The industry has it's head stuck in the sand.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    But mostly, keep mites out of the hives, and they can handle everything else way better. Why did all those guys lose hives? In my opinion if the truth gets out, it will in large part have to do with mites. There are reasons why this is sometimes not fully discussed, though.
    Very well said, OT

well, I thought Dan Rather did a good job

but if they had Keith on there, talking about nutrition, then it would of covered everything
    www.stepplerfarms.com

ot, i'm guessing that good nutrition doesn't directly suppress mites, but it makes the bees stronger so that they can afford the extra energy expended with hygenic behavior, plus it boosts their immune system to better handle the viral infections.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Agreed, good point.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

well, I thought Dan Rather did a good job
    Same. In that his job is to present an interesting and entertaining article for the non beekeeping public.

It was well researched, kinda. The scope of the article was not to do an in depth analysis of exactly what went wrong with the hives that died, and it's probably asking too much from such a reporter, to expect that.

I seem to recall that 57% of all US keepers income came from pollination, only the remainder came from honey production, this from what I know is a given gold mine...if you got bees and strong healthy bees .What your saying Keith is that this is relatively easy, the facts and figures are not saying this. PPB is it Keith?

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast