Hybrid View

Default Lost 2 hives today

Checked hives and found hivebodys with a little brood, no honey and very little pollen.Took them apart and found the large red ants in the box with a lot of dead bees on the screened bb. Are the ants the problem?If so I need to get rid of the ants HOW? Any help please. I have 3 more hives I need to check.
    A vet is someone at some time in there life signed a blank check to the people of America that included there life.

Default Re: Lost 2 hives today

The normal method is to make a hive stand supported by PVC pipe legs setting in cat food cans filled with vegetable oil. The ants can't cross the oil, problem solved.

Its possible that in your case the ants where just taking advantage of a weak hive, they don't usually take over hives by themselves.

sprinkle cinnamon around and under the hive it will keep the ants out . may take a week or so to get the ants out after that the ants won't go near the cinnamon

Quote Originally Posted by turtle95 View Post
    sprinkle cinnamon around and under the hive it will keep the ants out . may take a week or so to get the ants out after that the ants won't go near the cinnamon
    Sure didn't work for me last year. Bad advice
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 32 hives==== T{OAV}

I don't know how it is in FL but here a healthy, vigorous colony of bees will keep the ants out. It might be that the bees died then the ants, doing what ants do, moved in to scavenge whatever they can. I think 'no honey' might be an answer to why the hive failed.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

There are some bees that might be able to defend against the ants. But there are some that have not learn yet.
    Mine 2 hives, extra vigorous and aggressive bees have no defense from the ants. They snug in at night time too and
    totally destroyed my 2 hives. By the time I checked it was too late. I put them on an ant hill, my fault.
    So cinnamon, DE, hot peppers, whatever you sprinkle around the hive--ALL DO NOT WORK!!!!!!!
    Why? The rains that is why. So a more ants proof method is needed to prevent them from the attack.
    High grease temp to fill inside the cups under the stand now.

Quote Originally Posted by GLOCK View Post
    Sure didn't work for me last year. Bad advice
    I put burdock leaves under my covers to keep ants out.

I tried cin, DE, cin extract too. The ants just walked over it in less than a day. Ortho home defense max worked the best, but only for about a week. Trying grease this year, it's a coin toss as well. Ants start walking over it after a few days too. Borax feeder stations going out this week.