Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Two larvae in one queen cell?

You are not quite out of the woods yet! If she does not mate within 25 days or so from emergence she will never mate and will be a drone laying queen.

No I found her yesterday, and she looks like the laying queen in the other hive, long 'sexy' abdomen and small wings (she is a bit darker in colour though), I bet if I'd brushed some of the bees of the frame I found her on I'd have seen eggs in the cells, but it was a cool morning (just shy of 50F), but I'm flat out with college atm as exams are coming up fast and I need to get work done, so I took the chance that it would be ok on still cool but very sunny morning......

You should be able to tell if she is mated by the way she walks and the way the workers behave towards her.
    A virgin queen moves much more quickly and the workers tend to show her a lot less attention.
    But finding sealed worker brood is what you really want to see.

When I found her she was just "sauntering" along and had workers milling around her, mostly facing her, so I think she's mated and producing pheromones. I'm hoping for a warm fall day tomorrow so I can take a better look and hopefully find some sealed worker brood....

I'm pretty sure I know the day she went on her mating flight (16th May,a fine hot fall day) as the activity in and around the hive on that day was quite unlike the norm, and I could smell the "hive smell" some 40' away from the hive..... BTW by hive smell I mean that intoxicating honey/wax/bee smell, that I normally only can smell right close to the hive or when I pop the top on them.

Anyway I guess time will tell, but everything points to her being mated, so now she just needs to get laying. I also need to reduce the hive volume, they are quite a small colony now :-/

That all sounds good.

No capped brood as yet, but I found a frame with a tight egg pattern, single egg dead center of each cell, so I'm guessing she's started laying. Fingers crossed next week (weather permitting) I'll see some capped worker brood. Lord knows this hive needs the warm bodies!

One thing I did notice I have a LOT of carnolian drones in this Italian hive, and quite a few "grey" bodied workers too, so I'm wondering if I haven't had a bit of drift from another beek's hive. Though as far as I know mine are the only hives within ~3miles of my bee yard.

I have worker brood, capped, and LOTS of larvae and eggs in the hive now, about time too, the population is beginning to seriously decline now.....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123