Default What did I see today?

I installed a package this year on 4/29. By 5/11 I saw no uncapped eggs and couldn't find the queen. I saw 15 swarm or supercedure cells. (Debate on this nuance as they were half way down the foundation, but near the bottom of drawn comb) Anyway, she either swarmed or they rolled my queen and made a replacement. My bee math says a daughter will be laying on 6/1 +/- 5 days. On 5/28 I saw a queen land at the hive and she ran in before I could snap a photo.

This queen had a vibrant white dot on her rear that was easily the size of a dot you'd put on a marked queen's abdomen. What was this? Did this indicate perhaps she had just mated and the bright white patch was remnants of drone "parts"?

Have any of you heard or seen such a thing before? This was as if I painted her with white out typewriter correction paint on her tail end.

Thanks for the education!

Default Re: What did I see today?

Yes, what you saw was "Mating Sign". I once saw a queen return with what appeared to be an eight to ten inch long string of intestine trailing along.

well ...... what you saw was ........... SIMPLY AMAZING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! a once or never in a lifetime shot of your girls getting ready to make magic in ur yard.

i hope one day i get to see such and incredible event

tommysnare is right, it is amazing that you saw that. I had kept bees for 15 years before I caught sight of a returning queen. let alone one with breeding signs..

Quote Originally Posted by AR Beekeeper View Post
    Yes, what you saw was "Mating Sign". I once saw a queen return with what appeared to be an eight to ten inch long string of intestine trailing along.

I was just checking mating nucs yesterday and I had a queen trailing a 15 mm string of intestinal looking material. I smiled knowing those drones died happy soldiers!