Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: What should I cut off my fingers with . . .

Quote Originally Posted by ralittlefield View Post
    but alignment is done by the clamping mechanism.
    Table saws are not new technology. I have never seen a table saw that did not have some provision for alignment built into the design. Knowing where to start helps.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    Table saws are not new technology. I have never seen a table saw that did not have some provision for alignment built into the design. Knowing where to start helps.
    Are you talking about initial saw set up, or moving the fence for a new cut?

After the saw is assembled and set up, a t-square type fence will align itself with the blade each time the user clamps it down.
    Like us on facebook This is the place to bee!
    Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    Alignment is something the user does. Most fences clamp down and if you are pushing it out of alignment after it is clamped down then you need to work on your technique.
    If it's a crappy or mal-adjusted fence it won't stay in alignment, if it's a really good properly set up fence it will forgive a fair lack of ability. I ran a custom cabinet shop for several years, and still so a fair amt of woodworking. And I've used everything from a skill saw mounted on the bottom of a piece of plywood to stationary cabinet saws, and in my opinion the fence is the most critical component. Even though a 2x4 c clamped to the table will get the job done in a pinch. I'd rather have that jury rigged skil saw - if it had a good fence - than any saw with a crappy fence. And if all you are cutting is 3/4" pine for bee boxes the skill saw - with a good fence - would work pretty well.
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b

The best fence I have ever used is on my late father's 1930's Wallace table saw. It has angular adjustment like most, and when clamped, a dial for fine adjustment.

Crazy Roland

Wish I had this when I bought my saw last year. You are right on the lenght for the dado. Mine wont cut th7/8 board width. I have to cut the board vertically which scares me. As boards don't run true and kickback can occur. I also have an issue with the gear that raises the blade. Its plastic and wont raise without tension( I use a big c clamp to pull upward) I think its gummed up with sap and sawdust. But I am trying to clean it. That's just my thought

I have a Ridgid 4512 and have absolutely no complaints. I also used to run a 6" stacked dado set because it's not so hard on the machine. I bought an old radial arm saw that runs my 8" stacked dado set that I use to machine all my top bars and to make rabbets on my boxes (don't use box joints). All my table saw does now is rip and make frame rests.
    Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by ralittlefield View Post
    Are you talking about initial saw set up, or moving the fence for a new cut?
    Initial set up which will affect moving the fence for a new cut. Some of the difficulty with moving the fence and getting good alignment is keeping the square rail waxed if the fence gets its alignment from only one side.
    Brian Cardinal

I put a Vega fence on my old (1960s) craftsman contractors saw. I could have purchased a cheap saw for the price of the fence. It was well worth the price. I daresay that many folks spend twice as much for a new saw with a decent fence (the extruded aluminium tubes make them more common on cheaper saws than they used to be) that is never 'n the kind of alignment that ive got this chunk of cast iron in.
    The PALS are essential for these kinds of contractor saws...the way you align the blade without them involves guessing where the alignment will end up when you tighten the bolts aligning the trunion.

Deknow
    The irony is free. It's the sarcasm you are paying for....ironically.
    -Felicity Jones in "Chalet Girl"

I have a ridgid 4510 and it is great. Made 100's of hive with it. The arbor is long enough for a 3/4 stacked dado. Fence is very accurate with no fussing need. Only thing that is sketchy is the riving knife. I took it off becuase it always came out of alignment with the blade.
    Pearl City Apiary Michael and Loucil Bach

Well, I have been watching Craigslist for a while now for a saw, but that SawStop video scared the crap out of me. Maybe I'll wait a little longer!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
    Only thing that is sketchy is the riving knife. I took it off becuase it always came out of alignment with the blade.
    If you work alone and don't have a dead man, or worse yet you have a partner who does not pay attention to the rip fence the riving knife can get bent by a long rip and someone pulling the board away from the fence. If you are working alone and ripping a long board it is better to rip half the board then flip the board end for end and rip the uncut end to the center. If you are worried about mismatch in the center rip the board 1/16 bigger and then rip to size taking that 1/16 off all the way through with a dead man.
    I have limited space in my basement so for bee equipment I chop to length oversize first and then rip and square the ends to length.
    Brian Cardinal

...so much for fences...buy attachments...pushers and hold down attachments...keep your hands away from the blade as much as possible...if you have limited experience read up on safety techniques.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
    I have a ridgid 4510 and it is great. Made 100's of hive with it. The arbor is long enough for a 3/4 stacked dado. Fence is very accurate with no fussing need. Only thing that is sketchy is the riving knife. I took it off becuase it always came out of alignment with the blade.
    My riving knife, the lockdown handle, the whole assembly came out of mine too. If I remember right I always had to leave the handle down in the unlocked position when using a dado pack. Good saw though, I would like a different fence but mine is still spot on after years of use.
    Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
    Facebook