Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Default Re: Is their a new way to treat mites?

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    I am interested in oldtimer saying the label says to use between brood chambers as last time I looked our label didn't, but I haven't read it in a while
    Yes the label is as you say, which is to apply it top of the brood frames. But I didn't say the label I said their literature, there's a difference.

This, from their literature-

"4. Q: Can I use Apiguard with a brood and a half or a double brood?
    A: Yes, but bear in mind that the level of mite control may be slightly lower than with a single brood chamber, as the number of bees that need to receive treatment is higher.
    Most bees, brood and varroa will usually be in the lower brood chamber, so place the Apiguard on top of the brood frames of the lower chamber and put the second brood chamber
    on top (ie the Apiguard is between the brood boxes). Repeat after 2 weeks, following Point 2 above".

http://www.vita-europe.com/wp-conten...dFAQ201208.pdf

However I think that label instructions are law, any other advice is advice.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Yes the label is as you say, which is to apply it top of the brood frames. But I didn't say the label I said their literature, there's a difference.
    true
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

Go ahead and check us out,

vmvaporizer.com

If you got any questions, let me know!

The question I got is how much $$?
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Same question here.... so far I do not see the answer.... at least not on FB or website..
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran

Regardless of initial purchase price, note that the VMVaporizer requires a source of 110 volts AC and compressed air in order to operate.

Q: What powers the Vaporizer?
    A: The VmVaporizer needs an electrical power source of 120v, and an air compressor.

Our company recommends the "Honda EU2000i Super Quiet Generator" and any small reliable, and roughly 2-4 gallon air compressor.

Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 09-03-2013 at 06:34 AM. Reason: add quote
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

If the manufacturer starts discussing price, that will be considered advertising.
    Regards, Barry

He pm'd me the price. Let's just say it's for serious beekeepers with quite a few hives.

If you pm him, he seems friendly enough. It does look like a well engineered piece of equipment and if somebody wants to get through a large number of hives quickly, I don't think you'd get anything much better. Because the oxalic only costs cents per hive, once the equipment is paid for you are on a winner. Provided your climate is suitable to maximise effectiveness of an oxalic vapour application.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    If the manufacturer starts discussing price, that will be considered advertising.
    Hello Barry,

Regardless of whether Mr. Semenov is advertising or not I find it all quite disconcerting considering the fact that the attached Youtube video on the website link provided on Beesource purports to show the applicator doing an illegal pesticide application on unmarked beehives in what I am assuming is an almond orchard in California. Its extremely disheartening especially since its done in a manner which is not only unregistered in California but more importantly patently unsafe. ( inadequate protective gear)

When the lawyer for the first person to file a lawsuit comes looking for any persons remotely responsible for the reasons their plaintiff no longer has adequate lung capacity from use of this product I would want to be about as far away as possible. From what I have heard and read about use of these things am I that far off base? Does anyone know what kind of liability insurance this guy is carrying regarding sale of this product?
    Last edited by Honey-4-All; 09-03-2013 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Jmgi, I've just seen your post in the other thread outlining why you will now treat. Course I cannot discuss it there so there's a couple things I would like to say here.

Following losses last winter, if you use Apiguard, it's possible the harshness of the product could cause you more losses. It's only a suggestion, but Apivar strips (not api-life-var), is very gentle on the bees and very effective against mites. If you were to do a fall treatment with Apivar, provided your bees are properly housed and properly fed, no reason why you should not get 100% survival and pumping colonies come spring. Apivar is not organic (unlike Apiguard), but leaves no permanent toxic residue in the hive, unlike the other strips such as Apistan, which do.
    Seems this would get your operation back on track, and you could use Apiguard next time around, with the safety of a few more hives.

Only a suggestion though, please do whatever you deem best.
    I've learned to lower the dose, with apiguard. The one time I did full dose, I had some pretty severe die off, at least of brood. So I use half a dose (my estimate) and check back a few extra times to make sure everything looks good.

Also, fwiw, I just had a hive with a good amount of chalk brood (just looked it up to verify that it was definitely chalkbrood). I gave it a modest dose of apiguard a week ago and it is now all cleaned up. Not saying I won't requeen, but right now I don't have queens to spare.

Those other treatments (MQS and Apivar) seem expensive. Also, I tried MQS and it has me wondering if it loses its oomph if it is not all used right away.

I've been hearing though other news sources that "aromatic leaves" such as grapefruit leaves used in smoker can help with varroa. I don't know if any studies that have been done so I'm skeptical but it would be nice to know more about it.
    Scott Derrick, Creator Of Honey-B-Gone
    Visit Us At http://www.honeybgone.com

Some of those things, if you smoke the bees extremely enough, and it has to be pretty extreme, will make a few mites fall off. That's about it.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345