Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Is their a new way to treat mites?

Cheers David

I was thinking of doing something like that but using a fairly stiff shortening such as coconut or palm oil, plus no pad, to get a slower release & only need one treatment, what do you think?
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

I tried the fry oils but they melt at a low temp so don't work well in the hive. So I settled on the absorbent pad you don't want it to release to quick or to slow. I started using 1 pad every 2 month but get better result with current method. You can use the pads in the summer without driving the bee out. It's taken over 10 years to get the combo right.

Thanks David, maybe you just took a few years off my learning curve!
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Gotta ask....what is the deal with blue shop towels. How do they control mites? -js

Quote Originally Posted by dixiebooks View Post
    Gotta ask....what is the deal with blue shop towels. How do they control mites? -js
    Don't know... never seen one before....
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran

Quote Originally Posted by hpm08161947 View Post
    Don't know... never seen one before....
    you never saw a blue shop towel or never saw a mite? -js

Dixie, the innuendo is around the secret and sometimes (rumoured) illegal potions that the towel might get dipped into.

FYI, why do folks think that vets are highly paid? http://www.indeed.com/salary/Veterinarian.html
    They end up with big bills from school and everyone complains about paying their vet bills. BTW I'm not a vet, but my wife was considering it.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Quiney WI View Post
    FYI, why do folks think that vets are highly paid? http://www.indeed.com/salary/Veterinarian.html
    They end up with big bills from school and everyone complains about paying their vet bills. BTW I'm not a vet, but my wife was considering it.
    I can confirm that.... I have special knowledge... - a small animal vet can make a living, but a big animal guy is a "Po Boy"!
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran

Also true here. From birth I was an insect and animal lover. Eventual choice was to go to Uni & become a vet, or leave school & work for a commercial beekeeper to learn that trade & become a beekeeper. I found out how much vets get paid so beekeeping won.

Also, when I started my own beekeeping business, in the set up phase it was small & I did farm work to bring in enough money. If any vet work on the farms would cost more than the cost of the animal, cheaper to shoot the animal. So as a consequence, large animal vet work is poorly paid, I was stunned how little, in relation to their qualifications, large animal vets get.
    Small animals though, well people are attached to their pooch and may choose to lay out thousands on it after the car accident. Still not like the $$'s of being a doctor, even though the knowledge required to be a good vet is huge.

my vet told me that his small animal clients give him Christmas cards every year, he tells me I give him a hard time every year lol
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by hpm08161947 View Post
    I wonder why we have not seen Amitraz resistance already..... maybe no one speaks about it.... shhhh.
    I bet you will see amitraz resistance with apivar out there now.

Quote Originally Posted by BMAC View Post
    I bet you will see amitraz resistance with apivar out there now.
    here is a report out of canada from 2009, not sure what has transpired since. but since taktic was a higher potency and nobody knows the amout being

used, I would think you are correct.

http://www.agriculture.gov.sk.ca/Def...2-d862eb2978fe

lowered, but the decrease was more gradual than expected. By the end of the treatment, the Varroa mite levels just met

the recommended economic threshold, but more mites than expected still remained in the colonies. Fall-applied

Apivar® strips produced similar results in Alberta, Manitoba and Quebec. Comparatively, colonies that were treated

in the spring of 2009 appeared to have had very good mite control. Many samples from colonies treated in the

spring with Apivar® had very low Varroa mite levels in the fall of 2009. Preliminary analysis of the information

collected during the fall of 2009 does not indicate Apivar® resistance; however, the findings do indicate that we still need to

use this product to its best potential. For example, it is likely that four Apivar® strips will be needed in the fall to treat

colonies effectively.
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

Good Read. Wasn't there an amitraz based product back in the 90s that mites become resistant with as well?

A beekeeper who uses Amitraz over and over again is not practicing good beekeeping. Now with Amitraz back in the mix, we should be able to put togather a good rotation....

Perhaps that is a good thread... the rotation.... it seems as if I need to treat Spring, Fall, and Winter. I may do something like Amitraz-Formic-OA-Api-Formic-OA. There... that covers 2 years... Amitraz used once... the OA is just a drizzle during a warm break in JAN....

Quote Originally Posted by BMAC View Post
    Good Read. Wasn't there an amitraz based product back in the 90s that mites become resistant with as well?
    Yes there was an amitraz product then. Actually the first product released. It was removed from the market due to colony deaths.

The company ran out of bee hive strips and substituted cattle amitraz strips and colonies died. The ticks on the cows had become resistant to the amitraz so the company tried using left over amitraz cow collars on bee hives. Big mistake.

image.jpgimage.jpg
    I guess theimage.jpgimage.jpg treatment works and made a little orange honey too!

Oops to impatient with the picture key

"I guess the treatment works"

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by davidsbees View Post
    Most will not clean them out. I apply 3 in the spring 10 days apart then the same in the fall. It's a blend of oil, thymol, euc, menthol and 7 others. Always changing due to additional research. I seem to find time to do research, attend meetings, talk to other beeks, and run bees. Spent all last week supering. Attachment 5255
    David, Please consider making your own thread sharing the details of your treatments -recipes too. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would read it carefully. May I suggest you share links that have had the most influence on your process also. A thread like that would help an entire generation of beekeepers who want to be in the know on these matters.
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast