Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Is their a new way to treat mites?

You do not soak strips. it is a new treatment for BEE Keepers no blue shop towels involved. If you want the study done on it and how to apply srnd me a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hpm08161947 View Post
    Yup.... that is an Amitraz based solution if I have heard correctly. I am sure soaking strips in that stuff would be an offlabel usage.....
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by hpm08161947 View Post
    I wonder why we have not seen Amitraz resistance already..... maybe no one speaks about it.... shhhh.
    I was waiting for someone to say that LOL. Cos I don't know how long Taktic has been getting used.

But Amitraz resistance by varroa mites has now been recorded. Mostly though, it's still working. But uncontrolled dosing WILL speed resistance, just what time frame that will be who knows.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

I'm interested Ishi, can you link here?
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    yup and it requires a prescription to get it according to my search. think a high payed vet is going to stick his neck out?
    Did you call a vet and ask ? Its good to have the study done by aBEE lab in hand when you ask. I don't think that my vet is low paying but there are at least 2 offices in town that will write a Rx. Need that report PM me
    Dan

Thank you Keith, Really.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Jarrett View Post
    Really, they took TAKTIC off the market....

Really, they were short this year in the almonds with no taktic available, But the year before taktic was available and we were long on bees in the almonds.

Really, they had beekeepers jumping on TV and NOT one mention TAKTIC .

Really, they are blaming farmers for thier troubles.

Really, it's time to start telling the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishi View Post
    Did you call a vet and ask ? Its good to have the study done by aBEE lab in hand when you ask. I don't think that my vet is low paying but there are at least 2 offices in town that will write a Rx. Need that report PM me
    how about posting there names here so everyone can get a perscription?
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    In my country Apivar is widely used. Here's a few of my personal observations.

You need 2 strips per brood box, ie, in a 2 brood box hive, you need 4 strips. The mode of action is not to kill mites outright. What it does is paralyze them, . . . . . the Apivar strips have to stay in the hive 10 weeks. I have spoken to the manufacturers about this and they told me that at 10 weeks, the strips are still leaching around 1/2 the Amitraz they did when they were new, which is enough, but at the 10 week mark they should be removed to prevent underdosing & encouraging resistant mites.
    Good post Oldtimer, Im my experience it is very important to provide the full treatment time. I also treat during the spring because I feel its important to have the bees active during the treatment
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Speaking of telling the truth Keith what are you using for mites???

If you are prepared to ask be prepared to answer. I haven't used anything besides thymol or oxalic for around 7 years And have never used Amitraz.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

It's been over 4 years since using apiguard been using an essential oil mix the last 4 years so not a problem saying. Also helps with viruses (samples to Dave Wick).

Heh heh... bet we are getting ready to hear from a whole line of Commercial beekeepers who have never seen a shop towel.......
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran

Back in the day used a lot menthol, oil and the infamous blue shop towel for t mite and maverk and towels ( as per work done in israel ) before any thing else was available.

Now that's funny, Herb!
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by davidsbees View Post
    Speaking of telling the truth Keith what are you using for mites???
    What works best is we shake everything down (10-15lb) then kill off old queen and set back with cells, the brood beak really messes with the mites.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Quote Originally Posted by davidsbees View Post
    It's been over 4 years since using apiguard been using an essential oil mix the last 4 years so not a problem saying. Also helps with viruses (samples to Dave Wick).
    Care to share your recipe David? Is it a paste or in syrup?

I've posted my syrup mix before, I also use a blend of 10 plant oils on a cotton pad applied 6 times a year. image.jpg

Well the bees look pretty happy.

Guess I'll have to go search your posts. I'm not much interested in syrup mix as I hardly ever use syrup but if you have not detailed the cotton pad plant oils before I'd love to hear it. I guess you just let the bees chew out the pad so you don't have to remove it yourself?

Brood break , quickstrips, apigaurd and oxalic acid have have worked for myself although there is a learning curve on dose timing and proper application

Thumbs Up Re: Is their a new way to treat mites?

Quote Originally Posted by sjvbee View Post
    Brood break , quickstrips, apigaurd and oxalic acid have have worked for myself although there is a learning curve on dose timing and proper application
    way to go sjv and you are right on the mark. Timing is the key
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Most will not clean them out. I apply 3 in the spring 10 days apart then the same in the fall. It's a blend of oil, thymol, euc, menthol and 7 others. Always changing due to additional research. I seem to find time to do research, attend meetings, talk to other beeks, and run bees. Spent all last week supering. image.jpg

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast