Default question about bars to start with

Hello all this is my first post and would like to see if anyone could help. I am am a newbie and just built a top bar hive.I will receive my bees next week (maybe).My question is how many bars do I start out with on a new package of bees.I read somewhere that to start with 14 brood bars and 2 or 3 honey bars and put the follower board there.Is this correct? My entrance is in the front so I only have 1 follower board.Thanks for any help!

Default Re: question about bars to start with

My experience is very limited (only one year with one KTBH). I started it with a small swarm, and only used 10 frames. They drew perfectly straight combs. My biggest mistake was when I started adding bars, I thought they were ready for some wider "honey" frames, but I was wrong. They drew the comb a little off of center, and the next a little more...You see where this is going. I ended up with two combs on one bar.
    My advice would be to let the bees be a little crowded in the beginning, and then let them tell you which bar they want next. In other words, use all honey bars until they start drawing comb off center.

Welcome to Beesource!

I agree with Standman's comments, although I believe he used the wrong word in his last sentence.

> In other words, use all honey bars until they start drawing comb off center.

I believe he meant to say use the narrower brood bars in place of honey bars above.
    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

Thank you you some much for your answers.I really appreicate both of you taking time to answer a newbie.I will follow your advice and do the best I can to help the bees.