Default Don't turn your nose up just yet. Check this out.

I had posted some photos with a PVC pipe hive stand. I felt it only fair to provide you all with an informed point of view in order to put to rest some doubts.
    Here are the stands:
    PVC Hive Stand 3.jpg

The Effects of Sunlight Exposure on PVC Pipe:
    Occasionally we get questions about the effects of sunlight exposure on PVC Pipe and Fittings. We have put together this information to help answer some of those questions.
    The sun emits visible and non-visible radiation. One component of non-visible radiation is ultraviolet (UV) light. Like many other substances, PVC plastics are affected by exposure to UV radiation.
    The exposure of PVC to the UV component of sunlight causes PVC molecules in the first .001" to .002" of exposed surface to become permanently converted to a complex structure typified by polyene formations. The result is a brownish discoloration; often called "UV discoloration", "UV degradation", or more commonly "sunburned". UV discoloration does not occur where PVC is not exposed to sunlight, and ceases when exposure ends.
    The discoloration process is time-dependent, and can be slowed with the addition of UV absorbers in the PVC compound. The most common additive used for this purpose is titanium dioxide, which also functions as a pigment.
    Research has been done to determine the effects of long-term (two year) sunlight exposure on PVC pipe (see "UNITR-5: The Effects of Ultraviolet Aging on PVC Pipe", by the Uni-Bell PVC Pipe Association.) Other than visible discoloration, the following summarizes the results on pipe physical properties:
    Physical Property - Performance Characterstic - Effect of Sunlight Exposure
    --- Impact Strength - Impact Resistance - - Decrease
    --- Tensile Strength - Pressure Capacity - - No Effect
    --- Modulus of Elasticity - Pipe Stiffness - - No Effect

Research indicates that the sole performance characteristic adversely affected by sunlight exposure to pipe is impact resistance (the ability of the pipe to withstand a rapid external force or violent contact). UV discoloration does not effect the pressure capacity of the pipe, or the pipe stiffness (external load capacity).
    The degree to which impact strength is affected by sunlight depends upon a number of variables, including: time of exposure, climatic conditions, diameter of pipe, wall thickness of pipe, and type of PVC compound used. The thicker the pipe wall, the more unnoticeable the effect becomes. Care may be required when handling thin wall pipe to avoid impact or breakage, but once the pipe is installed however, there will be no effect on the pipe's pressure capacity, or external load capacity.
    For permanent above-ground PVC Pipe and Fitting installations, it is recommended that the pipe and fittings be protected from sunlight exposure. This can be accomplished by wrapping the pipe and fittings with an opaque material, or more commonly, by painting it. If pipe or fittings are to be painted, a water-based latex paint for exterior use is recommended.
    NACO PVC Fittings: PVC Sewer Fittings, PVC Schedule 40 & 80 Fittings, PVC PIP Fittings, PVC IPS Fittings, PVC Heat & Air Fittings, PVC Agricultural Fitting, PVC CIOD (C900) Fittings, and PVC Industrial Fittings. 2013 NACO Industries

So;
    By painting the PVC with paint designed for plastic (Valspar), which I did, it provides a1.8 mils thickness per coat of protective paint when dry. With two coats, that is over .003 protection against the UV radiation. A mil is one-thousandth of an inch; 1,000 mils equal 1-inch. Its a linear measurement.

Definitely WOULD trust it. For all the pessimists, skeptics, and doubters; check this out:

Hive Stand Car 1.jpgWHOA!

And, just so you know what kind of car we're looking at;

Hive Stand car 2.jpgWhat the . . . !

And, so you know there is no Tom Foolery going on;

Hive Stand car 3.jpgWell I'll be . . .

Seeing is believing. Eventually I will test out the other concerns. Make sure you read the previous post about PVC studies.

GREAT JOB KEVIN INGLIN of Bee Keepers Corner!

Unless someone stole it in the night, there is an engine in the car. I drive it to work ever day. According to the factory specs for this year of car, it weighs 4137 lbs. If you divide that by four it means there was roughly 1034.25 lbs on the hive stand.

I was totally impressed. The stand didnt budge, crack, squeak or bend. It is as solid after as it was before I set the car on it. I have an urge to lift the whole side of the car and set it down on the stand. But, I have proved my point, so I think I will forgo the work.
    No one famous.

Default Re: Don't turn your nose up just yet. Check this out.

Looks like they could work well but mud or soft ground could bee a problem

Bee Whisperer...For the doubters you may have to suspend the car on four hive stands. LOL.

cchoganjr

Kind of like using your smart phone for a hammer, it works but is a bit of over kill!
    Julysun elevation 23 feet. 4 Hives, 2 years.

Naturaledge;

You have a point. One should probably use a couple of planks in soft ground areas. I love Julysun's comment too.
    No one famous.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleo C. Hogan Jr View Post
    Bee Whisperer...For the doubters you may have to suspend the car on four hive stands. LOL.

cchoganjr
    I don't doubt but still would like to see that.

I believe you Whisperer, now let it sit in the sun and heat for a year or two and try it again.

That looks really nice. I also wonder how it will hold up in the sun long term but it looks great.

You're right JRG13, time and sun will need to do their thing, and then we can try this again. One can always hope.

Aerindel; we'll give it the full test. Hot Missouri sun should perform this well.
    No one famous.

Julysun... Isn't about 75% of everything in beekeeping over kill.

Look at all those beautiful cedar hives that look more like fine furniture or a casket than a place to keep bees. Look at all the time and money spent to make our own equipment when any rational economic decision would be to buy it. The money spent on tools, toys, and devices would buy a lot of bee equipment.

It has to be the thrill of the chase. Go for it.

cchoganjr

P1080132.jpg

Two years in the sun, snow, hurricane sandy, and so on and still hanging in. No degradation, they are not brittle, glue not failing. They are as strong as they day they were deployed. The one in the middle is the original prototype.

BTW, I put my stands on a concrete block base because of the slope where my hives are. The pads were there before I used the stands and I would have no hesitation on putting them straight on the ground. This is the only area on my property that gets morning sun and unfortunately it has a slope on it so I dug a hole and made a level pad. I had one listener who changed the dimensions and made one side with longer legs to compensate for their sloped ground. As noted, people are very creative with solving problems.

There were some comments that they could sink in the ground if weighted. I've never received comments from people who built them of impending doom from the stands sinking in the ground. They have a pretty wide stance and if it was a challenge the logical answer would be to put them on something.

Kevin Inglin

Yeah buddy! I knew those puppies were strong.

I've had pvc pipe break when you drop it after its been in the sun a few years. You should paint them to protect them from the sun.
    The diagonal brace was a good idea, it would easily break without it.
    Dan