Default Bees Aren't Eating Honey fed to them

I recently did a cut out that absconded. I spread out the honey from the cut out in the backyard, expecting to have bees all over it by the time I returned from work. There was probably 3 or 4 bees on it from my two hives. There is definitely room in the hives too. What is going on???

T

Default Re: Bees Aren't Eating Honey fed to them

If it is capped honey and they are working a flow....

On a related thing - It just came to my attention that what you are doing - and is fairly common if not a recommended practice - is against the law in our state. By law TN Bee keepers are supposed to keep honey which is outside of active hives in a place which prevents access by bees.
    5Y-25H-T-Z6b

What would you suggest that I do in stead?

The amount of, or lack of bees robbing set-out honey is a good indication of the flow strength at that time. Lots of bees robbing it then the flow is weak, few bees after it then the natural flow is strong.

Quote Originally Posted by David LaFerney View Post
    If it is capped honey and they are working a flow....

On a related thing - It just came to my attention that what you are doing - and is fairly common if not a recommended practice - is against the law in our state. By law TN Bee keepers are supposed to keep honey which is outside of active hives in a place which prevents access by bees.
    David, whats the point of this law? Where did you find it?

Quote Originally Posted by BackYardPhenomena View Post
    What would you suggest that I do in stead?
    To be in compliance with TN law - which you are under no legal requirement to do - you could put your honey frames over an inner cover on a hive and let just that hive rob it out. That way the risk of spreading foulbrood is mostly limited to your one hive.
    5Y-25H-T-Z6b

Quote Originally Posted by oldforte View Post
    David, whats the point of this law? Where did you find it?
    As VolDog pointed out - it is to prevent the spread of disease by robbing bees, and is in the TN state apiary act.

BTW, even though lots of people do it, I have heard several experienced bee keepers (Ed Holcomb being one) who I highly respect warn against allowing honey robbing of any kind. Even to the point of returning wet extracted frames to the same hive they came from late in the evening to minimize cross contamination of your own hives while you are replacing them. That kind of attention to detail might be why he considers a hive that produces less than 100 lbs of honey to be a failure.
    5Y-25H-T-Z6b