Default Pick up nucs at night or in morning. Does it make a difference

I have the opportunity to pick up a couple of nucs around 9 pm or the next morning around 10am. Either way I will pick up the nucs and deliver them to my farm immediatly after picking them up.

What's better?

Pick up the nucs at 9 pm Friday from the delivery truck, transport to the farm and unblock the nuc entrance beside it's hive during the late evening (11 pm) so I can move them into their permanent hive early the next morning

or

Allow the nucs to remain on the delivery truck overnight, pick them up around 10 am Saturday, move them to the farm and set them by their hive at noon. I guess I would move frames latter that afternoon or the next morning.

Thanks

Default Re: Pick up nucs at night or in morning. Does it make a difference

6 in one a half dozen in the other.

Yea Birdman,

Thats kind of what I think.

If you pick them up the night before, then you reduce the chance of those nucs going to someone else in the possible case of a shortage or other seller problem.

Also, if you plan on the night before and something happens to your schedule to prevent you from making it, then you have a second chance in the morning. If you plan on morning, and something goes haywire, then what is your backup plan?

My glass is always [potentially] half-empty!
    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

If you pick them up the evening before you have a chance to do a quick inspection before you pay for them. If they are locked up by the seller the evening before you have no way of inspecting without loosing some bees. It won't make much difference but, something to think about. I like for people to come the evening before. That way I can show them exactly what they are getting, I show them the queen and the brood in different stages. That way we both know that when they took possession of the bees everything was in good shape. I normally move the nuc into their deep box, wait until almost dark, screen them in and let them take them home. This may not work for someone who sells a lot of nucs.

Any time I have picked up a nuc it has been in the evening but I am back home just about dark 9:00 - 9:30. The entrance is blocked up with grass and I pull it out after the hive is set in place. A bee may run out on the board but that is about it. I think traveling when the sun is going down is better than when the sun is coming up.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Bees wanna get out to regulate hive temp and forage when it gets warm out. so thus it's really which is better for you? Be sure you clear the openings when you get home and put some grass and twigs over all teh entrances. Tells them to reorient.

I can see the advantages of moving them at night then giving them a couple of hours of dark just sitting in the new location waiting for dawn. If I picked them up Friday evening I would be getting the nucs as they leave the yard. If I wait till Sat they would be on the road then stopped overnight then on the road to a different pickup spot where they may sit for an hour or so then I would put them back on the road on the way to my location.

When I get to where I am going I'll open up any sealed vents and unplug the entrance. I've heard of using a bit of toilet paper to block the entrance, something easy for them to chew out, so they can reorient.

You all think a small amount of grass to reduce the size of the entrance is better that first day or so. I plan on moving the frames 2 or 3 days latter in the middle of the day if we have good foraging weather.

There should be very little need to place something in the entrance to make them reorient. Unless you live right down the road from the place you are purchasing them from.
    It is always a good idea to keep the entrance reduced on nucs until they build up.