Default Second week, first mistake... Question!

Well, I've had bees for a week, and have had my first screw up. I see a lot of talk of beeks blaming everything but themselves for mistakes. I'm married so I know whatever happened, it is my fault. Just ask my wife. Now how to clean the mess.

I've got 4 three frame of brood nucs to start me. I thought with four, I would have better luck getting a few wintered and would have a hive to keep working next year. The beek I got them from caged the queens for the wait for me to pick them up and travel to home. I checked and all the queens were released after a few days. I looked and found three of them the same day I pulled the queen cages out. I figured my eyes are not well enough trained to find the fourth. I was so exited fingering frames covered in bees that my "inspection" was incredibly lacking.

Today with my second inspection, I had a few items I was specifically looking for. The top was making sure the queens were laying. Three are noticeably more bees, frame being drawn, and lots of brood of all ages. Very exiting for a newbie! The fourth hive is the same size. No eggs or young brood. Capped brood, nectar, capped, and uncapped honey. No queen but a supersedeure (sp?) cell. Looks like the queen didn't take but we have a good cell. It was hanging off the frame a ways and stuck out. I made room in the box to get the frame back in and was trying to be careful... Then I lunched the cell returning the frame to the box. Mass amounts of poetic vocabulary was expressed in the most passionate way possible at high volume levels.

This nuc has no young brood for a new cell and is almost two weeks old with no eggs being layed. Should I add a frame of brood from another hive into it? The other nucs are small so pulling a frame is cutting the size greatly. I'm not sure of anyone in my area selling cells or queens this early. I know I can combine the queenless nuc to another, but it's very early in the season to be calling it on one of these.

Sorry that was so stinking long. Thanks for any suggetions and help.

In other news, I joined a local bee club, will be taking Randy Ollivers class this Sat, and got to assist in a swarm catch yesterday.

Default Re: Second week, first mistake... Question!

I think you would do more harm to your other hives taking brood from them then you would help the 4th. Contact the person you purchased the nucs from, they may be willing to provide another queen. In the mean time I would get ready to combine the queenless with one of the others just in case.

Combine it with one of the other three. You can then split off another nuc in the near future to get back up to 4. I would not remove any from the three that are doing good right now, they are not stable enough for the loss it would cause.

All right. Thanks for the info guys. I'll combine them today.

Hi.. newbee here as well. i have not actually made this mistake, but I have a question. If the hive is infact queenless, wouldn't the bees start making a new queen on their own? or would you say that it is too risky to assume that they will? just a question,I'm not having the queenless problem yet.

I am just impressed that it took you two weeks to only make one mistake!!!

I am averaging about a mistake a week over my first couple years!

Quote Originally Posted by Moonfire View Post
    Hi.. newbee here as well. i have not actually made this mistake, but I have a question. If the hive is infact queenless, wouldn't the bees start making a new queen on their own? or would you say that it is too risky to assume that they will? just a question,I'm not having the queenless problem yet.
    They tried. The bees need young brood to make a queen. They have not had any new eggs layed in almost two weeks. That is outside of the window to get a super cell. All if the brood is capped or being capped now. The only super cell that was good, I smashed off.

I combined the two nucs yesterday. Everything is looking fine for the moment. Check back next week to see my next plunder.