Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

beekeeping in sacramento county

9K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  KQ6AR 
#1 ·
I want to start in the beekeeping hobby but I don't know if in Sacramento county in my area I can keep the bees in my house. I really don't know where to start looking for rules. I have search for regulations but have found nothing.

#2 ·
Call the county ag inspector or look for the bee complaint line, they will tell you everything you need to know or do you want me too? Bascially, you need to be zoned Residential 1 or 2 if you're within any type of city limits in Sacramento County. You are limited to two full sized hives and 2 nucs. You must have water within 15' of the hives, and the hives must be 15' off the property line and not near any busy streets. You should register your bees with the county ag inspector too. You can request the form from them. Message me your email address, I will forward the guidelines they sent me.

#8 ·
Drive to Woodland and go to Mann Lake for your boxes frames and gear. You can check their web site for prices. Mann Lake is much less expensive (and eleventy times bigger) than the Sac bee store (on Broadway iirc). I just started as well and made a trip there and one to Dadant in Chico for my stuff.

Regestering in Sutter county is $10 and they map regester your hive count and apiary location. Looks like these guys have you lined out for your area.

#12 ·
If you need any help let me know, I work in Woodland so if you need something from there in a pinch you can always message me. I've done it for other members before in the area. You got the email I sent with all the information? I have some nucs if you want to check them out once they start laying to get your feet wet if you want. If you get honey to extract let me know as well, I have an extractor if you don't want to buy one just yet. I'll open that up to anyone else in the area too if you're just running a few hives. It's a brand new 18/9 ML, that I used once last year for my needs but if you want to come by or me to bring it to your house to extract we can discuss options.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.