Default What causes this?

This hive was given to me last year by a ex-beek who became allergic to stings. Double deep hive that produced a few supers of honey. I did an inspection in early fall and everything was fine. Queen was in bottom deep and top deep was honey. 2 weeks ago I opened it up and the queen was in the top deep and the bottom deeps frames all look like this. Frames were wired wax.
    photo.jpg

Default Re: What causes this?

Quote Originally Posted by scrapiron View Post
    This hive was given to me last year by a ex-beek who became allergic to stings. Double deep hive that produced a few supers of honey. I did an inspection in early fall and everything was fine. Queen was in bottom deep and top deep was honey. 2 weeks ago I opened it up and the queen was in the top deep and the bottom deeps frames all look like this. Frames were wired wax.
    photo.jpg
    The bees will do that sometimes... chewing down wax or foundation to use it elsewhere (like capping brood). They can also build this back out again during a time of plenty.
    "Teach your kids to hunt and fish, and you won't have to hunt for your kids"
    Four Ridge Apiaries www.fourridgebees.com

Yep! Right on. Bees will tear down comb for use elsewhere. They will surely fix that up when there is a flow on.

That frame looks like it had fairly new comb, so it is softer and easier to chew and move to another part of the hive. Older bees coming out of winter are limited in how well they can produce wax. Therefore they will move it to parts of the hive they want in, particularly capping brood during spring build-up. It looks like your hive would be a good candidate for reversing the supers and that will be repaired quickly after the the first batch of spring brood gets to the age to produce wax.

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaMark View Post
    That frame looks like it had fairly new comb, so it is softer and easier to chew and move to another part of the hive. Older bees coming out of winter are limited in how well they can produce wax. Therefore they will move it to parts of the hive they want in, particularly capping brood during spring build-up. It looks like your hive would be a good candidate for reversing the supers and that will be repaired quickly after the the first batch of spring brood gets to the age to produce wax.
    My thoughts exactly except you said it better than me.

I'm not sure they'll fix that. Or if they try it'll be an awful mess when they're finished. I cull those.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

I see that from time to time as well and I'm with beemandan. Quite often they'll make a go of filling it back out but the resultant frame is lumpy, wavy and sometimes gets stuck between other frames. Give them fresh foundation and let them have at it.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Thanks guys. The wire from the foundation is flopping all around, and the other 9 frames are all the same way. I think I am just going to cut the comb out of the frames and use them for a removal I have coming up next week. I will give them a fresh start with new frames.