Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

New "Texas" Top Bar

4K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  BBQBrew 
#1 ·
My first Top Bar hive is in place (first hive of any kind) bees should arrive next week!!!! Used the Golden Mean plans from "BackyardHive" and built it with help from a friend. I didn't use the top-bar design they had...instead I used cove molding....hope it works!

Property Tree Backyard Yard House

See less See more
#10 ·
Nice looking hive. I live in Texas as well. I decided to go the difficult route and try for a swarm. So far I have a failed cut-out and one that looks promising unless we have a VERY late freeze in East Texas. I don't have to worry about feeding them because there are acres and acres of bluebonnets for them to feast upon as well as all kinds of pecan trees, one of which is right above the hive. It will still take luck to save buying bees, but the ones I'm trying to save were otherwise doomed.

How many top bars does your hive have?

#11 ·
The hive I built only has 18 top bars...not very big but I livein "suburba" and my house sits on 1/2 acre lot so not lots of space for hives. I wanted to get my bees from Texas but ended up ordering them from Georgia...hope they like it here. Looks like they ship this week should arrive in a few days.

Good luck with catching a swarm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.