Default Is a hive stand necessary?

I see some hives with the hive bottom board sitting on top of a hive stand and even more without. If you've got your hive set on blocks do you need a stand? I've read that many BK's prefer to use The stand as it has that front sloped area for bees to land and then crawl into the hive. Is it just a matter of personal preference?

Default Re: Is a hive stand necessary?

No, sitting on blocks is fine.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Given that bees don't really care, no a stand is not necessary for the bees. Might be necessary for the beekeeper though, a full deep is pretty heavy when it's sitting a couple inches off the ground.

Stands do have other advantages too -- we have skunks here, and they love to eat bees. Put the hive up on a stand where the skunk has to stand up to get to it, and they ignore them, partially because they don't like being stung in the belly any more than we do, but also because they are ground foragers and would rather dig for grubs than reach up.

A stand also can keep mice and ants out better than sitting on a pallet -- we made metal ones with square tubing legs painted with automotive enamel. Even the bees have a hard time climbing them, I'm sure mice can't. I hate mice, and certainly don't want them making homes in my hives.

Cinder blocks work fine, so do 4x4 posts across cinder blocks, anything to get the hive up to comfortable level. Metal stands with slick legs are better, but unless you can weld them up from scrap, expensive.

Peter

Thanks for the responses gentlemen. I am in an area that does have skunks, ants, mice and other vermin. I've seen some BKs create stands using PVC piping, don't know if that's a substitute for slick metal legs or not. I don't weld unfortunately. I've noticed in a lot of pics I see the 4x4 posts across cinder blocks, that may be the route we take. This being our first season the weight won't be so much of an issue as most all stores created most likely will be left with the colony for wintering.