Hybrid View

Default Oxalic Acid Mite Treatment Approved by FDA?........

Hello All,
    A fellow beekeeper told me that the FDA has approved Oxalic Acid for treatment of mites. I am not aware of any way to verify if this is true or not.

Was he right?..... or just trying to sound like he knew what he was talking about.

and how can I verify?

thanks

Bull Creek

Default Re: Oxalic Acid Mite Treatment Approved by FDA?........

I'm not trying to be funny, but when the were approving MAQ's, I opened a question with them, If you would like to get frustrated give it a try. Took me over a year, and the product had been approved for 10 months b/4 I got an answere, you really should give it a try you might have better luck than I had.
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

this is what he is probably referring to

From American Bee Journal. April 3, 2013 EPA Approves Apivar Honeybee Miticide For Use In All 50 United States U.S. beekeepers now have a safe, proven, and...
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

Don't use it as a mite treatment - that would be bad. Use it as a nutritional supplement.
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b

Oxalic acid is used as a mite treatment (although not registered in the U.S.).

The EPA, not the FDA, approves pesticides.

Nobody has bothered to go through the expense of getting Oxalic acid approved by the EPA because there is no way to make money off of it as a seller. However, it is widely used off-label in the U.S. and legally many other places. I actually had a university professor tell me that is what a major university uses on its hives, which tells you how screwball the registration system is in the U.S.

Also, for those who do not know, Apivar is not an Oxalic acid product. The active ingredient in in Apivar is Amitraz, which for a while has really been the the most widely used miticide in the U.S. for some time, although not legally until now. Taktic was the product, until they stopped selling that product, which caused some beekeepers to get it registered. That also shows how goofy the U.S. registration system is.

Thanks for the info. From the reading I've done, Oxalic Acid seems like the best value in mite treatment while still being effective. I'm just a hobbyist and don't know any legal implications of using a treatment that is not approved. Does it matter? Is it regulated?