Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default TB Barrrel Bee Hive Plans

Ok, Here's still another question...thanks for everyone's patience.

Who has made one of the barrel hives?

Your Thoughts?

Which plan did you use to build your barrel hive?

Default Re: TB Barrrel Bee Hive Plans

Ok I have never made one, but I don't like them for two reasons. First reason it looks like that would be a lot of comb hanging from the top bar. I think you would have comb breakage. The second and I think the most important is the material. I hate to introduce any kind of chemical to a hive. I think plastic rates as a chemical. What happens to plastic when it is exposed to heat and cold? I don t know, but I bet it is not good for bees. Have you checked out Michael Bush s website? He has a great plan for a easy to make top bar hive. Keep the questions coming, this forum has been slow lately.
    16 y, 30 hives ULBN, treat when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt903 View Post
    Ok I have never made one, but I don't like them for two reasons. First reason it looks like that would be a lot of comb hanging from the top bar. I think you would have comb breakage. The second and I think the most important is the material. I hate to introduce any kind of chemical to a hive. I think plastic rates as a chemical. What happens to plastic when it is exposed to heat and cold? I don t know, but I bet it is not good for bees. Have you checked out Michael Bush s website? He has a great plan for a easy to make top bar hive. Keep the questions coming, this forum has been slow lately.
    10-4 Thanks for your reply...

I got PLENTY QUESTIONS lol

Happy New Year!

Regarding the concerns that plastic is a chemical and heat (especially from direct sunlight) will cause it to off-gas, etc, you bring up a good point.

I have found that the curve of the barrel keeps it hidden pretty well from direct sunlight because it's under a roof. There IS some direct sunlight during the winter because the sun is more in alignment (lower in the sky), but that is a GOOD thing. I also realize there's internal heat, but, I don't know, I figure any chemical residue/off-gassing is extremely minimal.

I guarantee that my barrel top bar hives are infinitely more healthy than the hives that are treated with various fungicides, miticides, antibiotics, pesticided mono-crops, etc.

By the way, I only have two barrel hives. The rest of my hives are wooden and I'm sure most of the hives I build in the future will be wooden.

I'm just doing it as an experiment. It's been fun.

www.savebeesflorida.com (Honeybee removals and top bar hives)

Makes sense to me:}

Got mine cut...now planning next steps to finish putting it together and whether or not to drill holes in bottom and cover in screen.

Seen some examples of cut's entire length of barrel bottom, some with a few holes, any suggestions anyone?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Snookie; 01-03-2014 at 01:24 PM. Reason: added pictures

Nice looking hives Snookie. I wouldn't worry too much about off gassing, I worry more about things like not knowing what food we're eating that are produced or processed in China. What size are the top bars?
    A Bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it rains.- Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Colino View Post
    Nice looking hives Snookie. I wouldn't worry too much about off gassing, I worry more about things like not knowing what food we're eating that are produced or processed in China. What size are the top bars?
    LOL I heard dat....I avoid Wally World and China items myself lol

Only rough estimates so far top bars 24"

I don't have one, but I have two problems with them. The first is the width. If you had a hive strong enough to build comb from the top to the bottom the comb in honey storage would weigh too much, and collapse. The second is that they are pretty hideous looking. Pretty sure someone would complain to the paint nazi's in the sub-division.

I think that if you had something like a thirty gallon container it would be a better size for the comb.

Quote Originally Posted by shannonswyatt View Post
    I don't have one, but I have two problems with them. The first is the width. If you had a hive strong enough to build comb from the top to the bottom the comb in honey storage would weigh too much, and collapse. The second is that they are pretty hideous looking. Pretty sure someone would complain to the paint nazi's in the sub-division.

I think that if you had something like a thirty gallon container it would be a better size for the comb.
    Points well taken.

Sometime soon I will inspect my barrel hives and photograph the honey bars. I have not had collapse problems thus far, but that's not to say it's not possible, especially depending on the heat and how one handles the bar/comb.

As far as aesthetics, well, one can always paint the hives. I think they look mighty handsome as is, but then again, I have a two-tone green house, so what possible credibility do I have regarding taste? :-P

How much are you paying for barrels?

I did dabble a little with the TBH made from T-111 scrap.

I do believe this 30 gallon barrel would be just the ticket for a barrel TBH though.
    shopping.jpeg

If I come across one for free I will pick it up and make one, but if I have to pay for it I would much rather just purchase a 1x lumber. I'm pretty sure I'm under $30 for a full size hive (minus the bars, outer cover and any stand I would use) including nails, glue and paint. And it takes very little time to assemble wooden hive body. Seems like it takes longer to paint a hive than to build it. I hate painting.

I would suggest that if you make one you build it with the stand separate from the hive. Otherwise it may be almost impossible to move if you ever need to.

I wouldn't put a screen in the bottom, just a good way for SHB to move in and out of the hive.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Beeman View Post
    I did dabble a little with the TBH made from T-111 scrap.

I do believe this 30 gallon barrel would be just the ticket for a barrel TBH though.
    shopping.jpeg

Hummmmmm....I got one of those 30 gal too.. :}

Oh well guess it will bee 2-55gal and 2-30 gal TBH lol

Now where did I put the sawzall....?

I think I'm addicted?

I inspected a couple of my barrel hives yesterday (Jan 5th, 2014) and here are several photos. (I will post a video later)

This is a honey bar. The 1/2-inch hardware cloth is because this comb was originally from a cut-out. They have expanded on the comb since then, of course:

Can you spot the queen? I made it easy for everyone.

A big ol' batch of brood:

It is interesting that they don't pull it out to match the shape of the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by shannonswyatt View Post
    It is interesting that they don't pull it out to match the shape of the barrel.
    They will this spring, I'm predicting.

They slow down building comb during the winter, even in FL.

I actually just built one of these this past weekend with my neighbor. This post inspired me to do the research and make one, so thank you. No top bars yet, but the body is done and I got the top of a broken table for the lid. I don't have any hives yet, and this was the cheapest way I could build a hive. Fingers crossed.

I wrote this to someone before regarding these hives, although I STILL recommend people build one or two of them:

They are great fun. They have HUGE combs and it's very fascinating.

However, just be warned about these 'downsides', which aren't really that big of a deal:

The bars aren't standard size, so you can't move bars to different hives unless you build several of them.

The bars with comb (especially honey) are much heavier than your standard 17" top bars, so they are a bit harder to hold and harder to move
    multiple bars back in place to close-up the hive. I made a hive stand for them which is a pretty nice item to observe both sides of the comb without having to support all that unwieldy weight with your arms.

The follower-board is almost impossible to make where it fits evenly throughout the entire hive because of ridges in the barrel wall and differences in depth on the ends.

I'd definitely build one or two of them for the fun of it, but those are the only downsides I can think of.

Also, someone asked me about screened-bottoms in my barrel hives (I don't have them).

Here's the OPINION I expressed regarding this matter (holding ears from fireworks this may set off):

No, I never have placed any holes/screens in any of my personal hives for ventilation. I have for other people, and they've had issues with their new packages absconding.

I am agnostic about screened-bottoms or ventilation holes being of an overall benefit. I am of the opinion (based on my personal experience and reading of others) that the bees can better regulate the temperature with just a main entrance at the front. They can also better regulate the evaporation of the honey. Also, my hives sometimes have condensation at the bottom where the bees can use to feed themselves water. That means they don't have to go out and forage for it nearly as much, which frees them to gather honey/pollen, etc.

I expect this video to go VIRAL !!!!

I believe it will be a hit in Norway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast