Default Bee Weaver Daughter queen northern overwintering results

Here is one of my test hives-original queen was a 2011 model from BeeWeaver..a buckfast hybrid mite resistant strain. These bees can be a little more hot than some, but I found them to be less agressive than some package Carniolans ...I have handled. The original Weaver queen overwintered extremly well in 2011-2012. This daughter looks more italian and also overwintered well, considering it was just a good sized mating nuc I let grow in the fall. I had to put a shallow super in it in September, because I was afraid they might swarm the deep 10 frame was so full. They drew out the empty foundation in the center and overwintered with a few empty frames on each end. Not what I wanted to do, but I was going hunting out of state and just made due.

I have ordered five more queens from this apiary and will have locally mated daughter hybrids for Washington State available this year.
    ( I do not ship..mated queens only available locally)

Here is their web ste if you are interested in info about these queens:
    http://www.beeweaver.com/

A little more aggressive than a lazy go with the flow Italian is not a bad thing, especially if it is a bad year for yellow jackets! Everywhere I pick up a pot or something in the yard, it is full of yellow jacket queens! It is going to be an aweful year for them I fear. Keep your hive entrances small and your hives strong, especially in late July onward. If you make any late summer nucs make them on the strong side and the entrance only about 1/2 " in size.

Last edited by Lauri; 04-02-2013 at 07:31 PM.

Default Re: Bee Weaver Daughter queen northern overwintering results

Looking good. I love beeweaver. My oldest one will be 5 years old this years. No treatments, no nothing and they are strong coming out of winter this year. They may be a tad bit more aggressive from time to time but overall are awesome.
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

Me thinks you may have the two Weaver Apiaries confused. BeeWeaver does not sell Buckfast as such. R Weaver does. Or perhaps you know something or are able to observe traits I don't know how to recognize?

I have some hives from BeeWeaver that began as packages last year.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

Here is a phrase taken from their web site:
    BeeWeaver Queens are a hybrid of our very best All Star and Buckfast and BeeSMaRt colonies. After selecting for mite resistance, high honey production and healthy populations in all our queen lines for over a decade we found our breeds became similar. Our choice to combine the breeds will bring you the best all around bees possible and better customer service. This decision may have been an obvious one to make, but it was not an easy one. We hope as the beekeeping world evolves you will find that our own evolution is the best path to overcome today’s challenges in the world of bees.

Below are two, part 1 & 2, YouTube videos talking about their breeding process and genetics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQhwc3Rt-g0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cbCZOCyD-c

I just looked for that quote above and could not find it on the BeeWeaver site. I am thinking that it came from the RWeaver site. I do not know the family history, but I would guess at some point two brothers split the Weaver bee business. I think the RWeaver group is more Buckfast and the BWeaver is more Italian, but both cross breed. The other interesting item is that in Navasota Texas their main processing buildings are next door to each other. I will be there Sat. 6 Apr. to pick up 6 packages of bees between a friend and myself.

http://www.beeweaver.com/

http://www.rweaver.com/

Update: OOPS, sorry just found it where I had not looked before, my bad....
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dewey View Post
    Me thinks you may have the two Weaver Apiaries confused. BeeWeaver does not sell Buckfast as such. R Weaver does. Or perhaps you know something or are able to observe traits I don't know how to recognize?

I have some hives from BeeWeaver that began as packages last year.
    I think that the BeeWeaver site was updated this year as I remember that last year they were calling them Italian hybrids. My apologies to Lauri as her quote is directly from the BeeWeaver site, I relied on memory too much.
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

Update on the hive in this OP. 5-1-13. Two deeps and a shallow super mostly full, still good stores, Thrifty, gentle..and TONS of drones. I looked at every darn drone and uncapped a lot of drone brood. Not one mite. Nada. Nothing. Bottom board is clean. I'm impressed.

Heres how a second generation locally mated Beeweaver daughter looks. Surprisingly blond. I figured she would have darkened up somewhat as she matured.

(Excessive drone population is due to some foundationless large cell frames I installed.)

I should be getting my first 2 packages from them soon.

The aggressive comments have me a little concerned,mostly for my neighbors who might be mowing or whatever.?.

They have never been aggressive outside the hive. Unless I am clumsy and bang the hive or drop a frame during inspections, they are very tolerant. I just move a little slower in some of my hives. I can get away with anything in some too. I know them well enough to know how to handle them when I 'dig into their business'

Any one know how do they do in cold country?
    Dan Hayden 4 Years. 12 hives. Tx Free. USDA Zone 5b.

Lauri:
    Same with my B Weavers. The only time one of the hives got really nasty was when I opened it on a hot, humid, cloudy day.

I really like B Weavers!

Sondra

Update: Heres the same hive as of 5-18-13. 1 1/2 months after original pic in the OP. Building nicely WITHOUT any additional feeding other than a protein patty in early spring. Remember, I live in the Pacific Nothwest and our season is really just starting.
    Now packed full of bees and stores in 2 deeps and a super..as you can see, they need another super again. That's comb and honey you see under the screen.

Hive is gentle and no swarming issues or mites.

I don't have any affiliation with Beeweavers, I know people are always looking for good queens and I have been impressed with Beeweavers queens and service. Just passing on the info. I am a small queen producer myself, yet I bought five more queens from them again this year. And I will be grafting from this overwintered daughter.
    Last edited by Lauri; 05-18-2013 at 03:26 PM.

Lauri - I have had issues w/ B Weaver bees not storing enough pollen in the fall to raise spring bees. Any insights? In the picture in post 1 it looks like you feed pollen sub. Is that something you do as a matter of course or do you feed it after seeing little pollen in the hive?

I put on a patty whether they need it or not without checking the hives. When the bees came into the bunny shed and got into the bag of corn one day early spring, I made up protein patties and inserted them in each hive. About half of the hives took them up.

I do have too many hives in one area, so it's hard to say sometimes if they are lacking in stores, exactly if it is due to genetics or over worked forage.

Thanks! As part of the open hive we had here today we did an alcohol wash on 1/2 cup of bees from a strong over wintered B Weaver colony established from a package last year. 1 Mite. I'll be sampling this colony monthly as part of Randy Oliver's TF mite survey. Obviously this colony stored plenty of pollen!