Default Timing of cut outs for up north

I have Several cut outs to do. And what to get to them as soon as possible. Temp is just starting to run 50 to 60 degree. I never had ones to due this early.
    David
    My-smokepole
    http://www.davidspaintingandwallpapering.com"

Default Re: Timing of cut outs for up north

I'm interested to see what people have to say on this. I have two trap outs that the landowners want done ASAP, and a cutout thats in a guys cabin wall.

I wait until I see drones or capped drone larva.

Quote Originally Posted by My-smokepole View Post
    I have Several cut outs to do. And what to get to them as soon as possible. Temp is just starting to run 50 to 60 degree. I never had ones to due this early.
    David
    55 and up works for me. You may loose brood, but I like to do them early before there is much brood to loose.

There are some benefits of doing them early, but most of them have to do with bee population. I did my first one last week from an older house that had an active hive over the past ten years. There was a massive amount of comb, mostly black and brown, but only a volleyball size cluster. The queen had not really geared up on laying, and their honey stores were low. If you want to insure their future success, I would wait until the lows stay above 40, and as Wadehump stated, when you see drones and larva in your hives, is a good indication.

I would agree to wait until you see drones. The main reason is I did a cut-out my first year the first week of April in NE Ohio and accidentally killed the queen. I didn't have other hives to give them a frame of eggs to, but they were able to "rear" a queen from their own comb, however she either didn't get mated properly or I (beeing a new beekeeper at the time) fussed with it too much and hurt her. If you have other hives to give them resources if needed, then It worked for me to do the cut-out at about 55-60 degrees. You need to move kind of quick though. If you want to maximize the brood once you cut it out don't spend much time looking it over before you put it in the hive. Oh I should say also that the cut out that I was doing was on a porch that was protected from wind which also helped.

What's the rush? Another 3-4 weeks is nothing since they've been there all winter and then some.

This comes down to what the pros and cons are for you:

Do these people want them out ASAP?
    - Are they nervous about the bees being there?
    - Will they call somebody else if you can't get out there?
    Are you confident that you can get them out without harming the queen?
    - I've done hundreds of cut-outs and rarely kill the queen or end up leaving her behind.

I think you should do it when it suits both parties the best; and bees are adaptable, so you're not likely to do anything to completely disrupt their progress. And getting them out before the hive splits is a good idea... people tend to panic when they see an old hive start turning into a massive cloud/swarm.

I'm doing one tomorrow, they are right over a sliding door to someone's balcony in an apartment complex. They were there last fall and were allowed to stay but the resident wants them out ASAP so I need to get them this weekend or they will be sprayed come Monday. I've got some capped drone brood in my other hives and the temps are looking decent over the next week or so.

No rush besides just getting it done. That and I can use the $$