Default Newbee in Tehama County, CA!! going all natural, Treatment free, Foundationless!

I am starting small just to start, getting my bees this week for my birthday!!! YAY!!! I'm young, I guess, as far as hobby beekeeping goes (28), considering I wasn't raised with bees, but I'm super excited, and a little nervous. I've never worked with bees but I am a total nature lover and decided that I had to keep bees after reading an artical about how indangered bees are becoming, and crying my eyes out for 2 hours. yes... I know it's pathetic but I have a lot of love for life and the earth. I've been doing my homework, reading, watching videos, getting equiptment and talking bees for the last year trying to get ready! I've decided to go all natural, treatment free and foundationless, in order to try to raise a good stock of domesticate breed "wild bees"! Wish me luck please!! any advice is always welcome!! Happy Spring!!

Default Re: Newbee in Tehama County, CA!! going all natural, Treatment free, Foundationless!

Good advice is to find a mentor who has successfully kept bees for many years to work with. Good luck.

Default Re: Newbee in Tehama County, CA!! going all natural, Treatment free, Foundationless!

This has been the starting point for many of us:

http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm, its very well written, to the point and logical. I wish I had found it my first year.

Good luck. CA scares the hell out of me.

Good luck to you! Check out Bee Kind in Sebastipol and of course your local beekeeper club. Lots of survivor bees out there ... if you can take a class from Serge LaBosque out of Santa Rosa College or find any of his one day clinics you would benefit greatly.

Welcome to the site!

CA scares the hell out of me

Thanks for the referance! I stumbles upon the michael bush page about 6 months ago, and I have his site in my favorites bar for quick access!! Definatley an amazing guy!! on another note..CA is amazing!! nothing scary happening here, just snow capped mountains and sandy beaches and there are a lot of orchards and wild flowers in bloom at the moment as well!! maybe someday you can see it for yourself... they say the best way to get rid of fear is to face it after all!

Welcome! You might want to at least wear a veil and "go all natural" after you gain some experience.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Yeah, no going commando your first year.

But otherwise, in the immortal words of Douglas Adams...

DON'T PANIC
    As for me, all I know is that I know nothing...
    - Socrates