Default virgin queen mating ....and other questions.

Hi all: I have some questions about queens but let me give you some background information. Last Saturday I had two swarms from a hive that I had split two weeks ago( I split them hoping they would not swarm but the bees had anotehr agenda). I am assuming that both these swarms have virgin queens. I talked to someone who said the swarms are doomed with the vigin queens and I need to requeen both swarms. I thought I would just let them mate on their own but they mentioned there are not enough drones in my area for them to mate with. Is there such a shortage of feral bees that these queens will not be able to mate? I live in a suburb of Atlanta and thought surely there would be feral bees around for them to mate with. I really dont' know any bee keepers within 2 miles of my house. I really do not want to requeen because I want to keep the genetics(I am chemical free). How long will it take these virgin queens to mate you think? Do you think there are enough drones around for them to mate with? How long should will it take to see capped brood - 3 weeks?
    Thank you for your help!

Default Re: virgin queen mating ....and other questions.

I'm not familiar with your area, but my guess is that there should be enough drones, by this time of the year, for mating.

Perhaps someone from your local area will respond.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

SallyD
    You won't have a problem with the queens not having drones to mate with. The drones have been flying in North Georgia since the first part of March. RDH