Hybrid View

Default Mapping swarms and blooms

The "post your swarm/bloom" threads are nice and all, but they are getting rather unwieldy. I realize they were originally being used by someone to map them, but that appears to be defunct. So I've taken it upon myself to setup a couple of simple Google pages to collect the data and map it.

Swarms

Here is the link to a submission page. It simply asks for a location, and the date. You can optionally add a comment. The location field will accept any text: Zip code, City and State, or full address. The more information provided, the more accurate the resulting map will be. If you do not wish to share the full street address (for obvious reasons), a zip code generally works better than a city name.

This spreadsheet shows the resulting data.

This map shows the plot of the data.

It doesn't do anything fancy, like color code the plot based on date's, etc., but it should be a little easier to consult than a 90 page thread going back several years.

Blooms

The functionality is identical.

Form.
    Raw Data.
    Map.

I can't promise anything as to how well it will handle the load, or how responsive it will be when there are hundreds of points to map, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Default Re: Mapping swarms and blooms

Just posted some. How long does it take to update?

I should, generally, happen almost instantly, but Google does a lot of co-locating and pairing, etc. so it might take a minute or two for the server showing the map to catch up. I just looked and see a new entry for Jax, Fl.

Will it accept international locations?

I see them now. Very cool!

garprob,

It doesn't do any validation on the data, it just shoves it into an a spreadsheet. Then some Google tech magic tries to interpret the string as a location. So, I don't see why it wouldn't work with a well formatted foreign address.
    Last edited by Daemin; 04-02-2013 at 12:19 PM.

I just ran this on the overwintering survey that the Finger Lakes Beekeepers Club started. Someone entered "Southern Ontario" into the survey field for "Zip Code" and the map plotted it perfectly fine. Daemin, thanks for sharing this; I hadn't found Fusion Tables yet, and it lets me easily visually map our survey data. (I just hope it continues to auto-update as folks continue to add data points.) It's a great resource, and I am going to share it with our club members.

Shelley