Default Taking queen out of perduction hives?

I have 5 hive that are 3 deeps full of brood and our flow is now just starting to heat up am I right to take the queens out right now I think I read some ware that you'll have a better honey crop is this true?
    I took the queen out of one today just to see if I could find the queen in a 3 deep brood nest and I found her on frame 17 now she's in a nuc in my new nuc yard.
    So is it a good idea to pull the queens in the rest?
    I plan on 10 nucs by winter And so far my SPM is working I had no QCs in any of my 10 hives as of last Thursday I pulled 2 queens today to get some QCs so I can make some queens.
    thank you.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 31 hives==== T{OAV}

Default Re: Taking queen out of perduction hives?

They will do fine. W/o a queen they will tend to backfill the brood nest and any supers they are already working in. They don't draw comb real well w/o a queen. I have a couple that have been queenless for the past month. I tried to requeen one and she failed. The other had a virgin that failed to return from a mating flight. I haven't had to worry about them swarming. Both have two deeps and a shallow of of honey which is about the same amount of honey as the queen right hives next to them that did not swarm. The benefit is that you won't have to worry about them swarming. The down side is that you have to worry about the new queen returning and establishing herself successfully.

It all so helps as as a mite control.
    David

>I have 5 hive that are 3 deeps full of brood and our flow is now just starting to heat up am I right to take the queens out right now I think I read some ware that you'll have a better honey crop is this true?

Yes. If it's timed right.
    http://bushfarms.com/beessplits.htm#cutdown
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

It works great if you can find the queen in your big strong hive. I do it if I happen to run across them. But it's a good idea to follow up with a frame of brood in a couple of weeks just in case.

Which reminds me...