Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Resource article .... where did it go?

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  beepro 
#1 ·
There was a great resource article here on a step by step approach to grafting queen cells and raising queens. I'd like to do this and cannot find it. It is not
http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?249478-Raising-Queen-Cells-Without-Grafting
although this one is good too. If I remember it shows more of after the queen cells are grafted into nucs.

What I want to do is try raising around 6 queens in their own nucs for sale or give away this year, possibly starting this weekend from the hive that 'may have' swarmed last weekend. If no queen cells there I'll do a split and look for them from the split. I have other hives I can get brood, pollen and honey frames from. I would like to eventually be a small time local supplier for untreated survivor bees in my area. I did a ton of research last year and unfortunately changed computers and no longer can find that one very useful article.

Any other reading suggestions welcomed too!
thank you!

#7 ·
You can remove the original queen so that the hive can raise some queen cells. Choose a big strong hive with lots of nursing bees now.
Notch 8 areas on the frames so they will make some queen cells for you. Be sure to not use the plastic frames. Then use the queen calendar to monitor them. Split the hive and put in 1 queen cell for each split hive. Within 2-3 days the new queen should hatch. You can use mini queen wire cages too if you want all 6 queens to hatch in the original hive. But cut them out is o.k. too. This is easy method to get a few good queens. I have done it already with one mated and laying daughter queen now.

#8 ·
Thanks beepro..that is basically what I plan to do except if my one hive did indeed swarm last Sunday they should have some queen cells in there ready for me to use. I have 6 nucs ready to be filled up....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.