Default Florida Bee registration and inspection

I've contacted them and they guy was real helpful. I forgot to ask him a question and don't want to bother him again if I don't have too.

How often do they come out and inspect or is it a one time thing? Prices were not real clear, How much is registration and all the first time... And how much a year?

Default Re: Florida Bee registration and inspection

Rob is our area inspector, we have a part time inspector too his name is Ray. They are both very helpful and always willing to help and answer questions. There's not a registration fee and it only cost like $10 a year up to 10 hives I think. Don't quote me on that but, it is very cheap. It's only a one time a year inspection.

Here's a link to some info on it. I was wrong it's $10 up to 5 hives.
    http://www.freshfromflorida.com/pi/p...y/ap-fees.html

I did my first inspection last year, when I started my hives. Do I need to schedule my inspection for this year, or will the Inspector come back on his own?

Brian
    Hobby Beekeeper - Second Year - Two Hives

They inspect every hive once a week usually on Mondays and you must be present but can wear casual attire.

Just kidding!
    I'm sure every region is different but I think they struggle to see everyone once a year. You don't need to schedule your appointment but need to pay your renewal even if you don't have an inspection. There is a fine if you pay it late.

I gave my inspector a call to let her know that almost all my hives would be in one yard for a couple weeks to see if I could save her some time. I would guess they are very busy right now with commercial outfits moving etc.

Penalties: Any person who violates the provisions of Chapter 586, Florida States, or rules adopted thereunder shall for the first offense be guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree, and upon a second or subsequent conviction thereof shall be guilty of a felony of the third degree. The Department may, after notice and hearing, impose a fine not exceeding $5,000 for the violation of any of the provisions of this law or rules thereunder.

WOW! Keeping Venomous snakes illegally isn't even that bad. It also stated a once a year inspection for Bees, again I think I was inspected 2 times out of 20 years for my Venomous setup. However, before I got any Venomous snakes I had to be inspected first (Caging etc...) and the fee is higher for Venomous permits.

I wonder how many misdemeanors are actually given each year?

Quote Originally Posted by johng View Post
    Rob is our area inspector, we have a part time inspector too his name is Ray. They are both very helpful and always willing to help and answer questions. There's not a registration fee and it only cost like $10 a year up to 10 hives I think. Don't quote me on that but, it is very cheap. It's only a one time a year inspection.
    Is there a limit to how many hives per 1/4 acre or something? Not that I plan on going crazy with this... When it becomes a job and not a hobby I have issues.

No, Duval County has a very lenient ordinance. It says as long as you are not running a commercial operation from your residential lot there is not a certain number of hives you can have.

Here is a letter from the zoning dept.
    http://jaxbees.com/images/Zoning.pdf

How about neighbors. If one calls and complains that a Bee stung their kid (Or maybe it was a wasp but the bee gets blamed) what happens if anything? As of now I am not saying anything to anyone. I have a fence up, so any flight into the neighbors air space will, at first be 6 foot high ish. But let's just say they want to be jerks and call and complain... I get along with most my neighbors (I border wetlands so I only have 1 neighbors on each side of my house) but if word got out...

Point being what happens if someone complains... He has killer Bees they stung my son!