Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Big Grin What type of extractor?

I would like to purchase an 2 to 3 frame extractor, eBay, has several for the cheap, $160.00

Kelly has several for around $450.00 I don't need an electrical type, hand crank will do just fine.
    I only have about 30 to 40 mid, and deep frames of honey to extract.
    4 hives.
    I want something simple but nice, don't want to purchase something I have to throwaway next year.
    I know I'll get opinions here, that's why I'm asking.
    When answering, would you mind putting an LINK, to where I may purchase an extractor.

Also thanks to all the BEEKS with their post, who have made my first year a success!

Default Re: What type of extractor?

Hi Dave, I would stay away from two frame extractors, they take forever to extract a couple of supers of honey. I would go with a 4,6 or 9 frame, good luck.
    http://maxantindustries.com/extractors.html

Remember, You get what you pay for, (or less).

Building your own extractor is not for everyone, but it certainly is an option. Beesource has plans for a 4-frame USDA extractor here:
    http://www.beesource.com/build-it-yo...y-extractor-2/

There are also plans for a 20 frame extractor made primarily from wood here:
    http://www.beesource.com/build-it-yo...ney-extractor/

You can use an epoxy based food safe paint to seal wood used in extractors. Here's one vendor: http://www.betterbee.com/Products/Ho...te-Epoxy-Paint

And the Beesource archives have threads about extractors built from members own ideas. Here's my favorite:
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...made-extractor!

Also, don't forget to see whether a nearby beekeeping club has an extractor available for members' use. Even if you choose not to go to club meetings regularly, club dues are minimal compared to the cost of an extractor.

Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 04-02-2013 at 09:19 AM. Reason: add club option
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

We have the maxant extractors for Free Shipping right now. You can buy those el-cheapo extractors but they will last you a year or two if you are lucky) if you actually use them. Yes I know there are people out there that will tell you they've had one for 5 years but you have to baby them to get them to last. So in a few years you'll have spent the same amount of money on cheap ones when you could have just purchased a maxant and be covered for your lifetime and your children's lifetime as well.

Just an FYI on those cheap ones. I purchased and tested the plastic trashcan looking extractor that mannlake / dadant and a few others sell to see if I wanted to carry them. I wanted to see how far I could push it until it breaks. I was able to break it within 5 minutes and all I did was give it to my neighbor's kids to try to extract 2 frames of honey.

I like the Maxant 9 frame. Great quality and you will never need to buy another one unless you get alot more hives.
    Price is forgotten very soon, but you will have to live with poor quality undersized equipment. Just my opinion, John.

I ponder this very question for quite awhile. I settled on the Maxant 3100H (hand) extractor. I ordered it from one on the guys in the southeast. Rossman I think. I am funny about buyinig things. I have to go through this miserable process of making sure I get the best bang for my buck and if possible, made in the USA. I did the same thing with the extractor search. This extractor filled both of those requirements. I have not used the extractor yet but I will have to say it is very well build. It was shipped in a very strong box and well protected from shipping damage. If you buy the Maxant I don't think you will be dissapointed. See the following link. http://www.maxantindustries.com/extractors.html

I do not know how long you have been bee keeping, or what your passion is. but here are my thoughts raised by my experience. The luring interest of beekeeping usually leads to a long tern commitment as passion usually runs deep once set in. Four hives will produce more then 40 frames in an average year. cranking even 20 frames takes time and a lot of effort. Invest in a good quality stainless steel extractor, Maxant, Mann lake, does not matter. They are high quality, easily cleaned, parts are readily available, and they will hold their value. I prefer an electric extractor. they are more efficient, and allow you to focus on other parts of the extraction process while the extractor works. I also extract for other bee keepers who do not have their own extractor. it earns me a few extra dollars, weather I do it for cash or shares. My last extractor I used for over 20 years, during which time I replaced 1 bearing. When I decided I wanted a larger capacity extractor I sold the old one, And got more than I paid for it originally.

Mr. Krantz, free shipping on the 20frame too?? I would be very tempted.

I have a Dadant Ranger. I think you can add the motor as a upgrade later but I have used some of the manual Dadant units that have been around quite a while and I like the way they are built.

Johng - I'll split the price of shipping with you on it! You can't beat that anywhere!

If the initial sticker shock of extractors has you taken back, I'd like to offer you another option from Maxant. They just came out with a smaller 2 Frame hand crank extractor that is modular. This allows you to purchase an extractor that can grow with your apiary. The beauty is that when you upgrade, the upgrade costs what the difference is if you'd have purchased it from the get go. The 2 Frame starts at $299 and you can upgrade to a 9 frame basket for $199 later down the road. The 9 frame is $499 which is an exact investment just spread out over time (minus shipping). You can just give yourself a year or two to allow your honey to pay for it.

I started out with a Dadant $ 199.00 two frame extractor, stainless. It worked out good enough. Now with just four hives, I have 120 super frames to extract, but remember you have to flip them around to get the other side done , now I'm spinning 240 times. You run out of friends who use to like to spin by hand. Spinning by hand wares thin after a few season. You will never be stuck with a good extractor, the demand for used is high. Don't buy twice.

I started looking last year and while the "Italian" 9 frame units are tempting price wise, I still keep looking at the Maxant 3100P as a top of the line that may be worth the extra money. In reality it is a 6 frame radial (plus 3 tangential if you want to do that) and the Italian unit is a true 9 frame radial. I have chatted with people who own the Italian 9 frame unit and have no complaints or breaks after 5 years of use with 25 hives. Personally I would only buy radial, and I think the Maxant 3100P is worth the extra $$. I may get one by June...
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

First, if it’s important to you - Maxant, Dadant, and I believe, Kelley, are American made.

Second, you’ll want to know the gauge of the stainless steel. Smaller numbers mean thicker metal. Look for 18 or 20 gauge. 22 is probably okay. I’ve seen some imports that are 26 gauge: that’s REALLY thin. Not only is it easily dented, it's also much more likely to flex or warp, and not hold its shape during extraction. That can cause loads to be unbalanced. I’ve read a lot of complaints online about users buying “economy” extractors that are 26 gauge and having a multitude of problems.

Third, for what it's worth, I bought my extractor from Maxant and am very pleased. Customer service was outstanding.

I have used a 9 frame radial hand extractor from
    http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...oductinfo/802/
    I never had issues with it. Eventually I even bought the baldor motor with speed controller and abused it for 2 more seasons after that with flawless operation. I eventually sold it as I bought (2) used 32 frame Dadant extractors. Both of which have been fine extractors.

I would not be afraid of buying any extractors from maxant, Dadant, Kelly or even the CHEAPO Italian hand crank extractor.

I would highly recommend you buy a radial extractor. The tangents are a huge PITA!

If you do hand crank it is a lot easier to do with a tangential extractor, even if you have to flip the frames. I have a Maxant 3100, and it's a quality product.
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b

Make sure you do the "test"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX3tW0YWxJc
    www.maxantindustries.com
    American made Honey Processing Equipment "Built to last a lifetime"

Maxant 1400p and i love it ! Oh yeah and i wore the T-shirt that they sent me to the NSBA annual meeting in March and i think there was some jealous people there , one asked me if i sell them LOL
    Ben Little <The Little Bee Farm> https://www.facebook.com/TheLittleBeeFarm
    Nova Scotia Canada

Quote Originally Posted by MAXANT View Post
    Priceless!
    Like us on facebook This is the place to bee!
    Ralph

Very good.

Quote Originally Posted by MAXANT View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX3tW0YWxJc
    Dan