Default What signs do you use to determine if it is too early to do a cutout?

Just wanting input on what others use, like going by which plants are flowering, budding, leafing out etc. Or other natural indicators that you use. I am wondering about things for my area, but would like to hear responses from everywhere, just thought it would be a neat topic.

Default Re: What signs do you use to determine if it is too early to do a cutout?

Temps are what determine when a cutout is performed. This time of year brood can get chilled and die quickly. At least here anyway.
    Although... if a customer cannot wait for whatever reason, temps don't matter.

Default Re: What signs do you use to determine if it is too early to do a cutout?

I like to wait till there is nectar and pollen coming in good with night time temperatures above 50 degrees.

Any earlier than that and I get robbing issues.

If I have to do a removal earlier than I like, I make sure to crowd them in their new hive by not giving them any extra space or empty comb.

Save the extra empty comb in a freezer, you can always give it back to them in a few weeks when temperatures have warmed up some.

Don

If drones are flying, I figure it's a good time. It's likely you will not find or you will kill the queen, and that is a time they can replace her, and a time that resources are coming in to repair the damage.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

We like to wait until night time temps are at least fifty degrees. Having drones flying seems to coincide with those warmer night temps too.