Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Hedge suggestions

4K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Nature Coast beek 
#1 ·
I've set aside the area for the apiary and will be installing the first of the bees this weekend. The problem is that this area is not fenced in and is visible from the neighbor's house and the road. It likely is not a problem, but I'd prefer to have them out of sight.

So I think I would like to put a hedge in place to shield the hives from sight. I will likely keep it trimmed to 5' or so. I'd like for it to bloom early to give the bees a head start on the season. The downhill plants will also act as a windbreak from the winter winds, so evergreens may be the choice. I prefer to have plants that produce edible fruit, but not a requirement and probably not an option to get a good windbreak.

I'm in zone 7A.

#4 ·
Boxwood is a great evergreen hedge plant, but I not quite sure how it does in your zone. It blooms early in the spring and honeybees really get after it for early pollen. There are several varieties. Here in central IL, I handprune it to try to keep it at 4-4.5 feet. Really dense. Clippings are good for winter greenery. Some varieties grow taller than others. Only drawback is that sometimes it has a tomcat "spray" odor. Not good if it is under your sitting room window.

#5 ·
for privacy it's hard to beat carolina saphires. they grow fast and respond really well to pruning/shaping. no blooms though.

i have a hedge of autum olives that provide a really good early pollen/nectar source, but they're not as private.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.