Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
    Posts
    21

    Default Is this normal ?

    I found this at the entrance of the hive

    Is it normal or some kind of disease ?

    CSC_1188_zpsfa2a5d59.jpg

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bell County, KY, USA
    Posts
    327

    Default Re: Is this normal ?

    It's a pupa.

    Hard to guess at why the bees removed it from its cell.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Oakland, California, USA
    Posts
    15

    Default Re: Is this normal ?

    Do you think you have pathogen resistant or hygienic bees?
    I agree it looks like a pupa extracted from a capped cell before it fully developed.
    Read up on hygienic bees or queens. See if your observation is consistent.

    Just curious... do you treat your bees for mites or other diseases?
    We don't... All our hives survived the winter. We see the occasional pupa too...
    and a few DWV bees and a few crawlers, but all the hives are building now.
    (We live in Oakland, Ca)
    Jerry

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
    Posts
    21

    Default Re: Is this normal ?

    Quote Originally Posted by scorpionmain View Post
    It's a pupa.

    Hard to guess at why the bees removed it from its cell.
    I know it's a pupa

    but my question is "why do you think they extracted her from her cell ? "

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
    Posts
    21

    Default Re: Is this normal ?

    Quote Originally Posted by gtp086 View Post
    Do you think you have pathogen resistant or hygienic bees?
    I agree it looks like a pupa extracted from a capped cell before it fully developed.
    Read up on hygienic bees or queens. See if your observation is consistent.
    No I don't think so , I got my bees from traditional beekeeper nearby .

    Quote Originally Posted by gtp086 View Post
    Just curious... do you treat your bees for mites or other diseases?
    We don't... All our hives survived the winter. We see the occasional pupa too...
    and a few DWV bees and a few crawlers, but all the hives are building now.
    (We live in Oakland, Ca)
    Jerry
    I don't treat them with any thing , they don't have mites or any diseases that I know of.
    they are working hard building comb , I think they looks healthy

    I live in Saudi Arabia
    khaled

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Sacramento, CA, USA
    Posts
    2,415

    Default Re: Is this normal ?

    Did you inspect recently?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
    Posts
    21

    Default Re: Is this normal ?

    Quote Originally Posted by JRG13 View Post
    Did you inspect recently?
    yes, I did last week every thing looks fine, I will inspect again in tow days or so and I'll take some photos for you hopefully.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA, USA
    Posts
    1,449

    Default Re: Is this normal ?

    Quote Originally Posted by KSA View Post
    ...Is it normal or some kind of disease ?
    CSC_1188_zpsfa2a5d59.jpg
    I do not think that a single event is telling anything. It might be "normal" or may be a beginning of something. Many bees are able to recognize infected by varroa pupa in the sealed cell - they may remove such pupa from the cell to prevent varroa spread. I believe, most bees do it all time but normally we do not see it because they do cleaning usually at night and move dead bodies away from the hive early in the morning (smart!) At least, this is how my bees behaved. Also, sometime you may damage some cells during the inspection - bees will clean them up. I also recently learned that bees are able to identify genetically imperfect drones and remove them from the cells. Fascinating!
    Серёжа, Sergey

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
    Posts
    21

    Default Re: Is this normal ?

    Quote Originally Posted by cerezha View Post
    I do not think that a single event is telling anything. It might be "normal" or may be a beginning of something. Many bees are able to recognize infected by varroa pupa in the sealed cell - they may remove such pupa from the cell to prevent varroa spread. I believe, most bees do it all time but normally we do not see it because they do cleaning usually at night and move dead bodies away from the hive early in the morning (smart!) At least, this is how my bees behaved. Also, sometime you may damage some cells during the inspection - bees will clean them up. I also recently learned that bees are able to identify genetically imperfect drones and remove them from the cells. Fascinating!
    Thanks very helpful comment .

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Sacramento, CA, USA
    Posts
    2,415

    Default Re: Is this normal ?

    That doesn't look like a drone though, I only asked if you inspected recently as you may have damaged some comb, but if it's been a week that wouldn't be the issue. Pupa get removed time to time, it's not really a big deal.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
    Posts
    21

    Default Re: Is this normal ?

    Quote Originally Posted by JRG13 View Post
    That doesn't look like a drone though, I only asked if you inspected recently as you may have damaged some comb, but if it's been a week that wouldn't be the issue. Pupa get removed time to time, it's not really a big deal.
    that what they all say , thanks man

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ads