Default another swarm! help!

Hi; My bees are swarming as I write this. I split my one hive two weeks ago and on Saturday one of them swarmed and I got that swarm and put them in nuc box. Today I see them swarming again and not sure what hive they are coming from. Do you think they left from the nuc box? I am beside myself. I will try to get the swarm but have no place to put them. They wouldn't swarm from the nuc box would they.

Default Re: another swarm! help!

Most likely an afterswarm (secondary swarm) originating from your original hive.

Bees raise numerous swarm cells and generally a few days after the primary swarm, one or more of the virgin queen leaves the hive causing a secondary swarm.

The secondary swarm would be coming from your original hive, all though with all the exciement some of the bees fron your nuc may be getting excited or join in.

If they are a secondary swarm there is a good chance they will stay at least till tomorrow where they are at. Call another beekeeper in your area to come get them afterwork. We do favors for each other all the time and they will owe you one.

If by chance the swarm is the nuc absconding, you would have to put them into a different hive than the one they are absonding from to get them to stay, UNLESS by chance you can go thru the swarm and cage the queen. Then they could be put back in the nuc.

By now the swarm should have settled, I would take just a little peek under the cover of your nuc to make sure they are not from the nuc and then make your decision accordingly. Don't disturb them to much, just a quick little peek.

If you need some body to talk to, you can give me a call. (913) 660-6602

Good luck,

Don

Thanks Don...that makes sense. I did peak in the nuc box (from Saturdays swarm) and there were still bees but I noticed they had not started to draw out any comb. There are still bees though. I may give you a call.

Its not uncommon to put a swarm in a box, & have them abscond/ basically swarm again the next day.
    Could be the ones you already hived.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by KQ6AR View Post
    Its not uncommon to put a swarm in a box, & have them abscond/ basically swarm again the next day.
    Could be the ones you already hived.
    Always place a frame of unsealed brood with your newly hived swarm. I learned this the hard way. One year i must have lost 6 or 8 swarms.