Hybrid View

Big Grin First inspection of the season . . . .

Finally got a chance to open the hives yesterday. Of the 20 hives I went into winter with all are still alive. I am quite amazed. Half of them were booming already. Only two had small clusters and one of those was from a late Sept. swarm call I got. If we don't get another extended cold snap I predict they will all make it.

A few were getting low on stores while many still had the medium mostly full of honey above their heads. I put heaps of pollen patties (Global 15% pollen) on each hive and buttoned them back up. Since I had expected some deadouts I now have a different problem. I need to get busy building boxes and frames!! Just ordered a compound mitre saw from Amazon.com and looking at table saws. A good problem to have!

Very happy!
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A

Default Re: First inspection of the season . . . .

Must do this in a hurry. They are probably ready to issue a swarm with all those queen cells in the making.
    Did you mention honey bound at the top? Humm, equals to swarm prep to me. What is opening up the hive
    mean. Many beekeepers will not check for swarm cells in this early spring. By that time they are busy chasing
    swarm of bees. With 20 hives all doing great. I would be worry now. I thought we are supposed to have
    equipments in place for this special occasion. Every year is the same, right.

Considering I still have a foot of snow on the ground and maple doesn't start to bloom for about five or six weeks and dandelions are after that I am not worried. No need to do a full brood inspection at this point. The goal was to assess die offs and get some feed on the hives to get the queen moving along.

I have quite a few supers that will go on when maple starts but, without any deadouts, I will need to build some more. Now I know what to build.
    Last edited by Keth Comollo; 04-02-2013 at 06:26 AM.
    USDA Zone 5A

Well done. I haven't been in to my hives yet. Mid month is my target date.

Andrew,
    I was a bit early but my schedule for the next couple of weeks is a bit hectic. A few of the hives definitely needed the feed. The nucs were all quite strong. One did have a nasty dysentery smear out the top entrance but the population in that one looked okay so far. I am not out of the woods and may lose a few between now and early flow but I am happy to have made it this far with so many. Fingers crossed!
    USDA Zone 5A

Quote Originally Posted by Keth Comollo View Post
    Andrew,
    One did have a nasty dysentery smear out the top entrance but the population in that one looked okay so far.
    A series of nozevit drenching should help with this, but of course you cant until probably mid to latter May. Good to hear and make sure they have plenty of honey when the Maples start to bloom. If they pack in alot of brood and we get a week long cold snap you could lose them to starvation.

I still have 2 live mating NUCs sitting in my driveway from last season.

Keith, well done on not having any losses! Kudos!

Quote Originally Posted by MelanieWoosley View Post
    Keith, well done on not having any losses! Kudos!
    No losses yet! Fingers crossed it stays that way.
    USDA Zone 5A

Thats great to hear keth...i guess that visit to michael palmers did help out lol....greg

Very true Greg! Without Mikes tutelage and inspiration I would never be where I am. I wonder if I can send him the bill for all the wood I have to buy now???
    USDA Zone 5A