Default MA mosquito spraying

In last week's bee school, one of the speakers told us that, if we register our hives with the town clerk, then if they DO get sprayed, the owner gets reparations. I hied off to the town clerk yesterday, but I guess they thought the question was an April Fool joke because nobody called back. Went again today, and they had never heard of such a process. Apparently they think we are supposed to keep track of the spraying schedule and individually contact the spraying company each time.

Is registering as a no-spray zone (forever) a real possibility? A state-by-state thing? County by county or town by town? Anybody know? It would be nice if I had recourse of they kill my bees.

Default Re: MA mosquito spraying

Im in Michigan and my county has a pretty aggressive mosquito controll department. I called them and got lucky in that the operations manager is also a beekeeper. He registered my address so the fogging truck will stop fogging within 300' of my property and then continue once 300' past the property. The permethrins (maybe its pyrethrins, i forget) that they use apparely have very little effect past 300' of the road. my hives are well away from that, but just to be safe, i had them register my address.

Most of the time, they fog in the late evenings or at night, but i nthe spring they do fog furing daylight hours, so foragers are at risk then. Not much can be done about that, but a few bees here and there problably won't be the downfall of the hive.

At any rate, i suggest contacting the folks who actually do the spraying/fogging. since they are the guys doing it, they are the ones you want to inform.

I have contacted the sprayers in the past. I'm just concerned that I may miss a notification on the same date they ignore my ongoing opt-out. Sight. Thanks.

The deadline was March 31st. Not all town/city clerks are familiar with the process. I will find you the number for the person in charge of the program.
    I'm told that this is a GPS based system. Also note that this is for ground spraying only...if there is West Nile or EEE and they do arial spraying, there is not exemption.

deknow
    The irony is free. It's the sarcasm you are paying for....ironically.
    -Felicity Jones in "Chalet Girl"

They sprayed today in Millis and Medway
    Think about it....Buy American

Are there even any adult mosquitos out yet?

deknow

Don't know they spent the morning flying helicopters over my neighborhood and adjoining wetlands they mostly drop pellets so they say. They drive you crazy because they are at tree top level for hours.
    Think about it....Buy American

I don't know much about this, but dropping pellits? Sounds like something to kill larvae, not adults....and doesn't sound like spraying.

deknow

her in MN you call dnr and they will not spray around were you tell them your hives are ,, they drop pellets here and yes that is for larvae , but if you kill the larvae you have less mosquito's , and in my thoughts if most never hatch then you have less to lay eggs so less mosquito's and the eggs that do get layed most die

Quote Originally Posted by deknow View Post
    I don't know much about this, but dropping pellits? Sounds like something to kill larvae, not adults....and doesn't sound like spraying.

deknow
    the only pellits I know of are made from B.T.
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

Yep, BTI. Kills the larvae, lasts for 30+ days. Safe for everything but the mosquito larvae. I put them in my ditches and gumponds. With mosquitos from March to December, they would carry me off if I didn't do something. I love the thought of using "Biological Warfare" on them. If the water dries up, they stop working, then start working again once submerged in water again. You can buy them at lowes or order them off line, google mosquito dunks.