Default Making an entrance reducer

I saw this article by Glen Stanley and wanted to make a few but I'm not sure of the measurements , maybe you guys can help me out or suggest a different one . I'm not sure if he is cutting the notch 1 1/2 '' wide and also not sure how he is reversing it to block the entrance completely .
    Here is the article

I prefer an entrance reducer I make over that which is provided by the equipment producers. It’s easy to make. I cut out of regular 1” lumber, a piece 14 “ long, 1 “ wide, and cut a notch in the flat side 3/8ths x 1 “. Then saw another piece 3/8ths thick and 14 “ long and nail on top of the other on one side. That keeps the reducer in place and can be reversed to close the entrance if need be.
    Last edited by laketrout; 03-31-2013 at 03:10 PM.

Default Re: Making an entrance reducer

I make a reducer block that fits the entrance very closely, but still slips out with a light tug. One way is vented full-closure. 90 degrees is a single-bee passage 11/32" wide.

My other reducer block is the same fit, with the screen over drilled holes vented full closure, but with a 1 1/2" opening for multiple bees to land / take off.

In both cases, the screened closure goes on the inside, or invariably the holes will get plugged with dead bees, reducing the ventilation.

I keep everything simple. Cut a 3/4 by 3/4 stick 2 inches shorter than the opening and leave it in all year long. I know it is cruel to keep all those small hive beetles out but they can always go to less defensible hives.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Got it figured out , makes a nice reducer , easy to get in and out and doubles for any width you cut the notch and for a complete closed entrance .

Quote Originally Posted by AmericasBeekeeper View Post
    I keep everything simple. Cut a 3/4 by 3/4 stick 2 inches shorter than the opening and leave it in all year long. I know it is cruel to keep all those small hive beetles out but they can always go to less defensible hives.
    Wow so your entrance is only 2" wide all year? Is there any other entrances such as holes in supers or top entrances? I'm wondering how the small opening works for ventalation?

Glad you're smiling, laketrout. BTW, I really like the call handle! I hooked one once, and had a fantastic fight. He eventually straightened out the hook and got away, but I was "hooked" on those bruisers. They run with the steelhead, but I'd love to get one on the fly rod. Sorry about the off-topic :-x

Oh, I left out that I also make a full-closure winter and/or robbing reducer without ventilation!, And, of course, a single-bee opening at 90 degrees. The vented reducers are for nectar dearths in warm weather or for travel. I use 2 nails in them, in case I have to pull into a gas station with bees on the trailer or in the truck bed. Better ettiquette that way, when all the bees stay in the boxes!

Charlie , after getting into beekeeping I would say its definitely easier to catch lakers than it is to take care of bees !! After listening to all the problems everyone is having I'm scared to death I'll probably loose my first hives !!

Well so far so good almost have everything built , now working on a bear fence , has everyone seen the plans by Craig Cella , very sturdy electric fence for a reasonable price .

http://www.kencove.com/fence/76_Bear+Fence_resource.php

http://www.thebeeyard.org/bear-fence...me-commission/ ( Just click on bear fence )

I've been saying it a lot this year, but here I go again. Yes, catching trout is easier than beekeeping, but you just have to go at it a little harder ;-) The big lesson is to start keeping bees and expect errors and losses as normal to the learning curve. DON'T GET FRUSTRATED AND QUIT! Learn and get motivated. That reaction will leave you with excess honey to deal with, whereas quitting will only leave you with excess equipment and smoker fuel to deal with.