Default NewBee in Keswick, VA

Just installed two packages of bees in my hives last Saturday, just in time for a snow storm on Monday. Thankfully when I checked this past Friday I still had bees, the queens had been released and they were drawing comb! I did lose quite a few bees but I don't know what is normal loss or what was caused by the cold weather. I also noticed that I had small hive beetles in one hive (evidently several others who got their packages from the same supplier reported having SHB, too). I have a mentor and will be talking to her about how to deal with this pest, but would appreciate any guidance here as well. Looking forward to learning more about this new adventure!

Default Re: NewBee in Keswick, VA

bad luck with the weather, not much you can do about that, keep feeding them , faster they can draw foundation the faster queen can lay to start replacing bees. SHB is a real problem , several traps available, would go with what mentor uses/suggests, good luck and hopefully good weather

Welcome to the site! I installed my first 4 packages ever this weekend. I didn't see any mites or beetles. I have my fingers crossed. Good luck!

Welcome! To combat SHB -- entrance reducers, only use enough frames for the bees to store brood and food, full sun or paint the hive a darker color, oil traps, keep the hive strong and well fed, do not use protein patties unless they can be covered by bees on all sides and consumed in a single day.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Thank you for the information...have an entrance reducer in place and will check out oil traps...just feeding syrup right now...