Default Firearm instruction: is a tip customary?

I'm getting a couple-hour shotgun training to try to branch out my hunting (and maybe carry out some game that weighs less than I do ). I'm going to an area "shooting school" for a 1:1 session.

Is tipping customary/expected for this kind of session?
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Default Re: Firearm instruction: is a tip customary?

If it's an individual, I would definitely tip. If it's a business I would check their policies.

Also depends on how good of a deal you are getting

In your situation I would tip 10-20% depending on your experience.

It's a business with large facility (ranges, trap, tac pistol etc). Two hours for $175 is what they quoted me. I'm kind of a 20% minimum guy for food/bev servers usually but all these confusing contextual etiquette things elude me .
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

I never expect a tip when I teach; rarely get one but I'm always grateful when I do. AND..if that happens, I donate it to the rod and gun club for the youth program.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Brewcat View Post
    It's a business with large facility (ranges, trap, tac pistol etc). Two hours for $175 is what they quoted me. I'm kind of a 20% minimum guy for food/bev servers usually but all these confusing contextual etiquette things elude me .
    Ben,

You will get a different answer from everyone you ask. Personally, a business that is charging almost $100/hr, I would not tip. They are making good money and paying the instructor.

Another way to look at it is if you are extremely pleased with the service of the instructor, tip him whatever you want. (Forget the %, throw him a $20. He will appreciate it). I usually tip 20-40% in restaurants, but I know the servers make less than minimum wage and tips are how they make their money.

couple hour shotgun training? red means fire, aim down the barrel and put bead on what you want to hit and pull trigger.

Hopefully they put you on the trap side. Enjoy hitting the clays, its alot of fun.