Hybrid View

Default Spring buildup and early supering

Hello all, I am from Oregon and we have been having some really nice weather lately, so I was able to do my first complete hive inspection yesterday.. I went through every frame and clened them all up. There were only 2 frames of brood a few empty drawn frames, some pollen, and lots of honey. In fact I was really surprised to see so much honey but I remembered i had put on some thick sugar syrup about a month ago.
    I reconfigured my 2 boxes so the queen and brood would be in the bottom box, with a few empty drawn frames, some pollen and honey. The rest of the frames were all honey so I put them in the top box and now the top box is about 95% capped honey.
    So here is my question....my worry is that there wont be enough empty frames for the queen to lay eggs in and raise brood. Should I pull out a few of the honey frames and replace them with empty frames so the queen will have more space to lay eggs? I also saw today in an article that some people put on supers very early to try to catch the maple flow. Should I super because my top box is already full of honey or try to make more room for brood? I also put on a home made pollen patty because the older one i had on there dried out. How do you keep them from drying out??

Any advice or ideas would be appreciated...sorry this is so long winded.

Eric

Default Re: Spring buildup and early supering

I would take that top box off completely and let that small cluster expand in a smaller space where they will be more comfortable, defendable and heatable.

I agree -- and will add that all that capped honey overhead is reputed to induce swarming!

Peter

Humm, not what I was going to suggest. He did not give any indication how many bees are in the hive and what size boxes we are talking about.
    My initial thought is to put an empty box underneath the brood box. This was assuming he had 8 to 10 frames of bees.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

the comb in the top box would be more useful to you if it didn't have the honey in it.

you might consider extracting a few frames and using it to expand your broodnest.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    the comb in the top box would be more useful to you if it didn't have the honey in it.
    Why do you say that? They need that honey/syrup to expand in the spring, don't they?
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping