Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

First time builder

3K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  TheBuzz 
#1 ·
#2 ·
#4 ·
That combo kit will work just fine for frames and boxes. I am general contractor and I use what ever size brads I have laying around, anywhere from one inch to two inch. As long as you can shoot the nails straight you would have a problem.
As for the crown stapler I personally wouldn't buy one. I hang crown all the time and only use my brad nailer. Although I have used my 18 gauge stapler.

#6 ·
I have a stanley bostich that shoots both crown staples and brads. I occaisionally need brads especially for oak trim in the house but mostly use different length staples for boxes and frames. When building boxes, I both 1 1/2" staple and nail with 8D cement coated nails. Each have their own kind of strength and the boxes are strong and stay together. Frames I use 1" and nail thru the end bars into into the top bar. I use a shorter brad that doesn't come out the other side and nail the bottom bars from the side as well as up thru the bottom. I don't glue and everything works fine. Glueing is a good Idea I just don't think I need to and it takes time, mostly to clean up the mess on me and the tools.

#9 ·
I use a 1/4 in. stapler and use 1 1/4" long staples, 18 gauge. I also use titebond III glue and I staple every box joint and have never had a problem. Try to find a gun that will shoot brad nails or staples. Then you can decide which you like. I have found with the glue that it holds extremely well.

#10 ·
I'm going go on the don't use glue wagon. The frames don't way more then 7-9lb each even if they're deeps. If a frame breaks you can pull the nail/staples out and reuse it. With glue ya gotta likely toss it. Try one yourself and see if you can pull the frame apart without glue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.