Question First time builder

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/2034713...atalogId=10053

I was wondering if this setup would work for assembling both hive bodies as well as frames. I am at the end of my first year beekeeping and had assembled everything for 3 hives by hand so far but thats become to tedius for expanding. I also tend to split frames when doing them by hand
    What size brads would be needed for frames and bodies?

Default Re: First time builder

I think that you will find that a 1/4" crown stapler is more useful than a brad nailer. Here is one example from HD:
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Surebonde...0#.UVhTbhdwr24
    I am not endorsing this particular item, it is simply an example of a 1/4" crown stapler available at HD.

Tools like this are suitable for building both frames and boxes, just switch the staple length.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I use 18 gauge nails 1 inch , doesnt split on me. But Ive been thinking about getting a crown stapler .Cant have enough tools.

That combo kit will work just fine for frames and boxes. I am general contractor and I use what ever size brads I have laying around, anywhere from one inch to two inch. As long as you can shoot the nails straight you would have a problem.
    As for the crown stapler I personally wouldn't buy one. I hang crown all the time and only use my brad nailer. Although I have used my 18 gauge stapler.

Thank you for the quick replies! We are going shopping later this week so I wanted to make sure this would work. Im a little worried the brads would pull out easier than the crowns but I need to buy the whole setup and this kit was cheaper.

I have a stanley bostich that shoots both crown staples and brads. I occaisionally need brads especially for oak trim in the house but mostly use different length staples for boxes and frames. When building boxes, I both 1 1/2" staple and nail with 8D cement coated nails. Each have their own kind of strength and the boxes are strong and stay together. Frames I use 1" and nail thru the end bars into into the top bar. I use a shorter brad that doesn't come out the other side and nail the bottom bars from the side as well as up thru the bottom. I don't glue and everything works fine. Glueing is a good Idea I just don't think I need to and it takes time, mostly to clean up the mess on me and the tools.

I have that compressor and brad nailer. But if you keep an eye on the package deals they run on that compressor, you can get other stuff packed in there. My combo deal had the brad nailer and a framing nailer for $20 more.

I use 1/4" crown stapler and Titebond III for everything.
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A

I use a 1/4 in. stapler and use 1 1/4" long staples, 18 gauge. I also use titebond III glue and I staple every box joint and have never had a problem. Try to find a gun that will shoot brad nails or staples. Then you can decide which you like. I have found with the glue that it holds extremely well.

I'm going go on the don't use glue wagon. The frames don't way more then 7-9lb each even if they're deeps. If a frame breaks you can pull the nail/staples out and reuse it. With glue ya gotta likely toss it. Try one yourself and see if you can pull the frame apart without glue.