Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Where Are The Beekeepers?

For all of our talk about treatment free commercial beekeeping, time will tell. As the years go by, if treatment free commercial beekeepers grow in numbers and conventional commercial beekeepers wain then we will know what is doable.

That being said, treatment free commercial beekeeping must be a sustainable practice for beekeepers who do what the majority of commercial beekeepers do or it is not suitable to those who are the heart and soul of the beekeeping industry.

Hobby beekeepers and sideline beekeepers may show us the way, but until they can do so on a large scale current practices will remain dominant.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Here in SC a medium full of honey will keep a hive alive thru the Winter. So, a deep plus a medium or two deeps is all that is needed. What has your experience been?
    A medium full of honey [35#] may get them through the winter, but I want them feeling secure enough with a store of honey to start brooding up as soon as the pollen starts. It may be a 1 1/2 month after the elm pollen starts before we get any type of flow here. Then the End of April to May first is when the major flow starts. They won't be at maximum population if they hold back on brooding up with pollen coming in.

When I kept bees during the late 70's through mid 80's I was running two deeps. I wanted one of those completely sealed with honey [60-70# of honey] and the lower one with about 25% accross the top sealed with honey along with frames of pollen/bee bread. I had caucasions [midnites] and they would build up early if they had good stores, but were stingy building without adequate stores.

Danny
    "I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country." Nathan Hale, 1776

It seems unfair to say that commercial beekeepers are doing nothing to fight ccd. We may not be chemical free and feed sugar, and hfcs. I feel that when our lively hood is in survival of the hives that we will naturally do everything we need to survive. Contrary to what people may think we do not make billions or even millions but with striving hives we make a living.

Some make their living off of bees and like any business we run it as efficiently as possible. Until there is cost and time efficient ways to keep bees, we will probably continue to be stubborn and use the "old ways" (that until recently worked for many many years)

DRUR nailed it in post 15. It is pure math.

Untill there is a premium for "treatment free" honey as a commodity, like SQKCRK points out, it is hard to be sustainable with the increased costs.

Crazy Roland

Quote Originally Posted by Jon F View Post
    I think when you all feed processed sugar to your bees you damage them.
    On what basis?
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

I knew I was doing something wrong. I just now realized it was everything. Jon F, are you willing to be my Mentor?
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    I knew I was doing something wrong. I just now realized it was everything. Jon F, are you willing to be my Mentor?
    Dan Hayden 4 Years. 12 hives. Tx Free. USDA Zone 5b.

Reminder Re: Where Are The Beekeepers?

I would love to put some #'s out there for those non profit beekeepers.
    A tanker load of HFCS $11k-12k and a load of honey $92K.
    I will take it to the next level. I take all there honey and then sell the bees in the fall so I don't have to feed them all winter. $$$$$
    No treatments needed.

Santa Susana Mountains, Ventura County, California

We're doing what we can with the honey bee situation here in Southern California, including education and awareness, and have set up a Honey Bee Sanctuary exactly for this purpose. Please feel free to visit our web site at RanchoSimi.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12