Hybrid View

Default Size of mating nucs

I am in SE Washington state, just noticed some capped drone brood this last week and I would like to start raising some queens. How many frames should I use in my mating nucs? My concern is temperature this time of year, highs have been 50-60's with lows in the mid 30's and I am sure we will have a few under 32. I was planning on using 2-3 frames with 1 being a brood frame, but I am afraid the brood will get chilled. Any suggestions? This will be my first year raising queens.
    Thanks, Ben

Default Re: Size of mating nucs

Have you seen drones leaving hive and flying? I would be a little concerned with the temps in the 30's. Can you wait a bit? You can run mating nucs with 2 and 3 frames but I would go with a four framer if it was me especially with the cooler temps.
    "Someday we will look back and realize someone was right...and conveniently forget we were the ones that were wrong."

I am in Western Wa and too have seen cappped drone brood. I'm going to do a test graft in a week or two...a full month earlier than usual. The problem is if the virgins are not mated well, the mating nuc will dwindle. So any resources you put into the nuc may be basically lost by the time a well mated queen is produced. It is tempting though.

I'm in the South and I have trouble getting anything less than two frames established. I have done it a few times with just one frame and a couple extra shakes but, have better luck with two frames. I just placed my first round of cells yesterday. I'm trying out the mini nucs this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauri View Post
    ...a full month earlier than usual...
    We're at least a full month LATER than usual!!
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

All the comercial guys I know of use at least 2 frames, 6 5/8 deep. half length. Some use larger, but thats the smallest.

I think to get good queen mating the temperature needs to be around 70 or above, so it might be a bit early. John