Default Does a queen feed herself?

Good day all
    Yesterday I decided to find the queen of a hive , to mark her. At first looked on all the brood frames, with no result. Next I looked on the honey frames, and …..bingo , there she was. But in what position? Her head was deep in a nectar cell, and her abdomen facing the sky. I waited for a while and then I touched her a little and she got out, made a circle on the frame , and again into the same cell with nectar.
    Have you ever seen something like this? What was she doing there, feeding herself?

PS She is an early September mated queen, with four frames of brood in all stages.

Default Re: Does a queen feed herself?

One queen rearing video I have watched showed the beekeeper dipping the end of a hair roller type cage that a queen will emerge into in honey. the intent was that the queen once emerged would have honey to feed on. Since there where no other bees in the incubator so I assume it was intended the queen would feed herself.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

First thing a newly emerged queen does is seek and partake of nourishment. I lack the knowledge after they have mated. Just a thought, could that one bee a virgin?
    Rick

Nope, this is an old queen since bees are developing already.
    She's trying to find a suitable cell to lay her eggs. Yes, even in honey frames she
    will inspect there when running out of cells. I have seen this many times with my
    old queen. If nobody feeds her she will and not going to starve herself. I also
    seen a virgin queen that chewed out a worker bee for the nourishment while confined
    in a mini queen cage. The sight was ugly. I thought I had released all the bees from
    the cage. You can give her an empty drawn out comb for her to lay if you have one.

Quote Originally Posted by beepro View Post
    Nope, this is an old queen since bees are developing already.
    She's trying to find a suitable cell to lay her eggs. Yes, even in honey frames she
    will inspect there when running out of cells. You can give her an empty drawn out comb for her to lay if you have one.
    This is what I did.
    Thank you all for the replies