Hybrid View

Default thoughts on my swarm traps ?

here is a couple pics of the swarm traps i made today.

the first and ONLY trap i hung up (about the size of a nuc) made out of siding from a cutout we did....seems to have some attention the last couple days when i have driven by to check it out. NOT BAD !!!

i decided that since we are going to all 8 frame mediums this year(actually 9 frame boxes because the plans i got from some yeehaw were wrong UGGGHHH) i went ahead and used some inventory of 10 frame deeps i had in the shop. pretty beat up anyways.

here is what i did in more detail:

-10 frame deep lang body
    -broke the wedge off of 2 frames and turned them sideways (as per Michael Bush talking about)
    -stapled wedges sideways on top bar and waxed them like TBH bars.
    -experimented with frame placements in the traps. (2 in the middle,2 in the entrance,2 in the rear)
    -cut one entrance per box. 2" round opening.
    -entrances in different locations in different boxes.
    -one box has some rot out so i didnt add an entrance.one box i left the bottom board and reduced the entrance to about 2" on one side.
    -a couple boxes have "swarm lure oil"
    -a couple boxes have pure "lemon grass oil"
    -each box has a couple chunks of old black comb ( no honey)
    -one box is a touch smaller than the deep bodies and is made from leftover siding removed from a cutout we did a couple weeks back. it has old comb attacked to it from that colony.

hopefully it all goes well id love to get a descent amount of swarms this year. I plan an putting mostly swarms in TBH's. let them pull natural cells and see what happens.

Sam Comfort mentioned to put swarm traps in old barn windows. well....here is out old barn. you bet your tail im gonna put a swarm trap in the window

Never mind. photos wont upload. it happened last time i wanted to upload photos but cant figure it out.

Default Re: thoughts on my swarm traps ?

couple of my bait boxes are 10 frame deeps. I caught one in it last year. Tom Seeleys article on this subject suggests entrances towards bottom. Some shade and facing south. Just guidelines from his research. What I followed and I had success. IMO, the 2 " is one the large side but it is probably splitting hairs. I would suggest a wire across, or even cris cross on an entrance like that to keep birds out unless the position of the frames accomplishes that. Sorry about the pics. I have a hard time with posting as well. Happy trapping
    Rick

I thought I'd give a picture a try. I hit "Reply," and a row of icons pops up. I then clicked on the 4th icon from the right (if you hover over it, it says 'Insert Image'). The Insert Image box then pops up and I then click on the 'From Computer' tab (top left) and then click on 'Select File' (bottom center) which then opens up my computer files where I keep my pictures. After I chose which pic I wanted, I clicked the 'Upload' button. Hope this helps you post your images! Here's an image of some of my swarm traps.
    IMG_3863.jpg
    Last edited by mtndewluvr; 04-04-2013 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Moved picture down out of the words

Why the funky cross bar instead of a frame or comb? You can't find a 19" piece of wood?

Just curious as to why white?
    http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/...swarmtrap2.jpg
    First they have to see it and then they need to have the idea of messing with it. I figure if they don’t know it is there my odds of it staying are better.
    Wondering if I am better off using my drawn comb for splits or for the bait hives.
    So you are not using any frames?
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

Tommy...Glad you were able to get them loaded. I recently purchased a bunch of drawn comb last week and put a couple of those in my bait hives. I have 22 out so far this year. Swarm season is probably another week or two away for us. Have you had any luck yet?

Wow, minz...those are nice! I assume you are talking about kids messing with your hives? You're right...if they don't see it, they don't bother them. How many swarms are you catching there in Clackamas? Before becoming obsessed with beekeeping I used to live in Oregon City and then in Troutdale...wondering what I'm missing.