Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Mann Lake Frames Splitting

5K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  Ron McFarland 
#1 ·
I am learning and started assembling some frames from Mann Lake and they are splitting like crazy. Using the nails provided and curious is this common or should I be using something other than nails.

Thanks in advance for ideas

#7 ·
I use a pneumatic stapler with narrow crown staples and Titebond III but a good way to reduce splitting is to tap the pointy end of the nail with a hammer to blunt it a bit. This causes the nail to tear the wood fibers instead of wedging them apart. Works very well. It's an old trick my Dad taught me from his 40+ years as a carpenter. Good luck! :thumbsup:

#8 ·
I purchased the unassembled frames from Mann Lake when I started beekeeping Sat and put 8 nails in each frame. I used a precision hammer instead of a big honkin hammer. I sucked at hammering nails. Now I don't suck too bad. If you got the nails that the website said to use. Perhaps adapt your blows. I didn't get a the whole compressor and staple gun till recently. Now I suck at using pneumatic tools and switch over to manually hammering them sometimes. Good Luck!

#10 ·
I would call mann lake and tell them what is happening. Maybe they sent the wrong nails. I bet they make it right anyway. Nails do split more equipment than staples. I was taught to always pound in a nail with the chisel side accross the grain. That does tend to split wood less.

#14 ·
These are 1/4" crown staples, 1" long.

These would be used with a pneumatic stapler and an air compressor. They are not the same thing as staples that fit in a "hand powered" staple gun. As Danno pointed out, the 1/4" refers to the width of the staple, not the length.

#16 ·
> a good way to reduce splitting is to tap the pointy end of the nail with a hammer to blunt it a bit.

>
I have a small steel block on my workbench that I use for dulling nails to prevent splitting.

On occasion I collect discarded wood for reuse. Sometimes when removing the nails I find some (obviously applied with a pneumatic gun) that have virtually no point at all. Now I know why they were used!

:D

#17 ·
if you happen to get a batch of frames that want to split, usually this only happens with old coarse or dried out wood: a few hours before assembly soak them in water awhile, let them surface dry an hour so the glue will stick then assemble... you should not run into this with mann lake stuff their products are excellent. some other posters had real good sugestions.

#19 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. I started learning about assembling frames on Friday afternoon just as Mann Lake closed for the weekend. I did find success with drilling a tiny pilot hole about 1/4" deep and that eliminated the splitting, I only placed one nail and glue in each top & bottom bars - not sure how that will play down the road. Frames are 6"5/8 - most seemed to have a good firm fit.

Will do as suggested and call Mann Lake on Monday - they seem like a good supplier - it just surprised me how fragile the frames were in response to my small hammer and their nails -- Thanks again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.