Default Mann Lake Frames Splitting

I am learning and started assembling some frames from Mann Lake and they are splitting like crazy. Using the nails provided and curious is this common or should I be using something other than nails.

Thanks in advance for ideas

Default Re: Mann Lake Frames Splitting

I don't use Mann lake frames, I use Kelly frames. I don't have any problem with them splitting. They may have sent the wrong nails.

Got to be nails that are too fat(wide). Use a very thin finishing nail and Titebond II wood glue(or other waterproof glue)
    Mann Lake does good frames.
    Old Guy in Alabama

I am agreeing with JR. I have had no trouble with Mann Lakes frames. Atleast close to a thousand in hives now. i use 1 1/2" staples in mine. good luck to you all.

I have the nails provided by Mann Lake that are not finishing nails - they have very small heads on them - will look at the staple option and smaller nails in next couple of days -- thanks

The nails shown in the Mann Lake catalog for frame assembly are 3/4" long. Of course, they sell other sizes for different purposes:
    http://www.mannlakeltd.com/beekeepin...es/page27.html

If the nails that you are using are other than 3/4" long, I'd suggest contacting Mann Lake for the correct size.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I use a pneumatic stapler with narrow crown staples and Titebond III but a good way to reduce splitting is to tap the pointy end of the nail with a hammer to blunt it a bit. This causes the nail to tear the wood fibers instead of wedging them apart. Works very well. It's an old trick my Dad taught me from his 40+ years as a carpenter. Good luck!
    "Someday we will look back and realize someone was right...and conveniently forget we were the ones that were wrong."

I purchased the unassembled frames from Mann Lake when I started beekeeping Sat and put 8 nails in each frame. I used a precision hammer instead of a big honkin hammer. I sucked at hammering nails. Now I don't suck too bad. If you got the nails that the website said to use. Perhaps adapt your blows. I didn't get a the whole compressor and staple gun till recently. Now I suck at using pneumatic tools and switch over to manually hammering them sometimes. Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by dnichols View Post
    I use a pneumatic stapler with narrow crown staples and Titebond III but a good way to reduce splitting is to tap the pointy end of the nail with a hammer to blunt it a bit. This causes the nail to tear the wood fibers instead of wedging them apart. Works very well. It's an old trick my Dad taught me from his 40+ years as a carpenter. Good luck!
    This does work very well. I staple my kelly frames but I use 1" nails for the bottom bars...just can't seem to figure a good way of using the staples. The bottom bars remind me if I haven't dulled the point of the nails. Anywhere that I'm nailing into the edge of something I will dull the nail's tip.

Ed

I would call mann lake and tell them what is happening. Maybe they sent the wrong nails. I bet they make it right anyway. Nails do split more equipment than staples. I was taught to always pound in a nail with the chisel side accross the grain. That does tend to split wood less.

I put together 800 mann lake frames this winter without a single split but I use 1/4 crown staples and not nails

1/4 ? I used 1", it wasn't a success. Maybe I could use the huge box of 1/2 inch I bought

Quote Originally Posted by BackYardPhenomena View Post
    1/4 ? I used 1", it wasn't a success. Maybe I could use the huge box of 1/2 inch I bought
    Staples are measured by width and come in differnt lengths. I use 1/4 inch crowns by 1 inch long

These are 1/4" crown staples, 1" long.

These would be used with a pneumatic stapler and an air compressor. They are not the same thing as staples that fit in a "hand powered" staple gun. As Danno pointed out, the 1/4" refers to the width of the staple, not the length.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by dnichols View Post
    a good way to reduce splitting is to tap the pointy end of the nail with a hammer to blunt it a bit. This causes the nail to tear the wood fibers instead of wedging them apart.
    I have a small steel block on my workbench that I use for dulling nails to prevent splitting.

> a good way to reduce splitting is to tap the pointy end of the nail with a hammer to blunt it a bit.

>
    I have a small steel block on my workbench that I use for dulling nails to prevent splitting.

On occasion I collect discarded wood for reuse. Sometimes when removing the nails I find some (obviously applied with a pneumatic gun) that have virtually no point at all. Now I know why they were used!

Graham

if you happen to get a batch of frames that want to split, usually this only happens with old coarse or dried out wood: a few hours before assembly soak them in water awhile, let them surface dry an hour so the glue will stick then assemble... you should not run into this with mann lake stuff their products are excellent. some other posters had real good sugestions.

One other thing you might try, stick the point of the nail into a block of beeswax before before nailing.

Quite often will keep wood from splitting.

cchoganjr

Thanks for all the suggestions. I started learning about assembling frames on Friday afternoon just as Mann Lake closed for the weekend. I did find success with drilling a tiny pilot hole about 1/4" deep and that eliminated the splitting, I only placed one nail and glue in each top & bottom bars - not sure how that will play down the road. Frames are 6"5/8 - most seemed to have a good firm fit.

Will do as suggested and call Mann Lake on Monday - they seem like a good supplier - it just surprised me how fragile the frames were in response to my small hammer and their nails -- Thanks again